• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch Panel

Tylers02

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement rear hatch panel online for a reasonable price? Doesnt need to be painted because I plan on shaving the Ford emlem.

This is why you never take your car to a machine car wash. The high pressure driers ripped the panel completely off and the car behind me ran over it. The white caulking you see on the right hand side is where the dealership originally fixed the panel when it was starting to come off(they just used regular painters caulking and that is why the car wash will not cover the damage).
IMG_0300.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd take it back to the dealer and tell them it flew off. Then insist that they replace it

I agree. Ask the dealer WTF? Then point out the painter's caulk and ask for a replacement. Since painter's caulk, while a wonderful product, is not rated for automotive use. :salute:

Wish it was that easy, i now live 1600 miles away from that dealership. I still cant find anything online, I guess im just going to have to suck it up and go to the stealership tomorrow.

Just talked to the dealership and they want $152.30 + tax for a un-painted panel and its going to take about a week to get. If they had it in stock I would of just got it but there has to be somewhere online for cheaper. The hunt continues...

After alot of time searching and making phone calls I found the panel for $80 + $10 shipping, by far the cheapest I could find. I found this website www.fordpartsdiscounted.com, the pricing was messed up online so I gave them a call. They wanted $130 + $10 for shipping but after talking to them for a few minutes I got it down to $90 shipped. Now the question is should I shave the emblem or not. Its not that much work and I have to get it painted regardless, so I most likely will.

After alot of time searching and making phone calls I found the panel for $80 + $10 shipping, by far the cheapest I could find. I found this website www.fordpartsdiscounted.com, the pricing was messed up online so I gave them a call. They wanted $130 + $10 for shipping but after talking to them for a few minutes I got it down to $90 shipped. Now the question is should I shave the emblem or not. Its not that much work and I have to get it painted regardless, so I most likely will.

In my opinion, the problem with shaving the emblem is the same problem that makes them crack.
This piece expands and contracts a lot! They are prone to cracking because Ford used a glue that had no give.

Take a look
On a cold day, mine sits flat and nice. On a hot day it does this...

IMG_2027.jpg

Some of the glue has let go on mine. If it were not for this I'd have a crack.

Anyway back to my point... You'll likely fill the emblem impression with body filler or similar, which will not have the same expand and contraction as the panel. I wont give it long and it will crack you're filler and fall out.

Some advice, when you install the new one.. clean up the window as best you can and use 3M foam tape. It will allow more flexibility and should prevent a future crack.

I will definitely be using 3m weatherproof tape to adhere the panel back on. If it wasnt for the right side coming loose Im sure my panel would have cracked as well(although I would of rather had a cracked panel then no panel). If I shave the emblem I will be fiberglassing it in then using a real thin layer of body filler to make it smooth. Dont really see the fiberglass cracking, just not sure if the extra time and money is worth it.

Be careful using the weatherstrip tape, it takes a loooong time to cure. It would probably be best to store it inside overnight and not drive it for at least 24 hours. I used it to reglue my subwoofers and after 24 hours, they were pretty well cured.

Well that sucks!!! I will look into it tonight and see what I find, good luck!

I used the 3m weatherproof double sided tape to put on the Explorer badge on my hood and it cured in no time, not too worried about that. Joel you dont know anyone that paints do you? I would do it myself but I dont have to space or tools. Im going to smooth and paint my mirrors at the same time. I got a couple quotes and the best price i have gotten so far is $200, but thats with a good two stage paint not a crappy maaco job.

I know of a guy who paints(friends husband), but I haven't had the chance to meet him. If you are getting it done for $200, that's a pretty fair deal. When I looked into Ford doing it for me, I think it was in the $300 range?(part plus paint)

I will try to find something out as soon as I can. Have a great 4th and don't blow anything up:D

I used 3m tape on mine and it just comes back off after a few months. Nothing I have found keeps it on there. And yes I have cleaned the old glue off and used solvent to clean the area and used a heat gun to apply the 3m the last time which kept it on there better.

Sorry i didnt mean weatherstrip tape, rather the glue in a tube. It holds pretty good. But according to my self-proclaimed "professional" father, it is best to use windshield urethane, which should hold forever as long as it is done right, which is difficult. You have to clean it well with acetone, then prime it and then apply the urethane. Apparently it is best to take it to a glass shop and have it done professionally, due to the difficulty of doimg it right.

Back