Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half

Add me to "The Crack Club". The temperature was 23 below zero yesterday morning (I hate the Midwest) and while driving to work I heard the loudest damn noise from the back of the Ex that I thought that a rear window had broken. When I got home from work I walked around the back and there it was..... THE EVIL CRACK!

I've seen more than a dozen Explorers and Mounties with this panel having cracked. It really is a rip off that Ford can get away with a lousy design like this and not be forced to replace it FREE or better yet happily replace it FREE (why do you think Toyota and Honda owners think their vehicles are better? The owners forget that the dealers repair and replace faulty components for FREE) Happy owners = repeat buyers..... The Japanese understand this but why not the Big Three?

How difficult is it to design a flat piece of plastic that doesn't self destruct?

Part locations, prices and repair instructions as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1L2Z-78402A30-AER

$153 From Troy Ford - Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-1L2Z-78402A30-AER-APPLIQUE-REAR-PANE/dp/B000NS4ZYG
1L2Z 78402A30 CAPTM

$93.60 Graham Ford

http://www.grahamparts.com/parts_info.php?part=1L2Z*78402A30*CAPTM

1L2Z-78402A30-DAPTM - APPLIQUE - REAR PANE

$99.62

http://b000ns2xcc.azsources.com/p-ford-1l2z-78402a30-daptm-applique-rear-pane.html

BODY—LIFTGATE GLASS APPLIQUE Article No. 04-8-5
DAMAGED/CRACKED—SERVICE PROCEDURE (FORD Repair publication)

http://fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/supplier/tsb/0485.pdf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a post on this here. my 2003 has the same problem. oemdirectsolutions.com has a replacement panel, already painted/colored. There is a video that shows a tech with a putty knife simply lifting the panel away from the liftgate. Once off and the surface cleaned, the replacement panel is put on with double sided tape. 200 bucks complete. I think i am going to pry off the panel and see if i can epoxy it and replace with my own double sided tape. $10 fix if it works.

Thanks for the info guys. I just picked up my '03 EB Explorer yesterday and it came with this thing cracked. I thought it was really weird until I scoured the Interwebs for this issue and found it to be rampant. Oh well... hopefully, the new one is re-engineered ABS that is not as susceptible to cracking from the hot/cold cycle.

Anyway, thanks for posting the where to buy links as I was about to ask. I also snagged these instructions from http://www.fordforums.com/f538/tsb-01-04-explorer-liftgate-glass-applique-65751/

TSB 01/04 - Explorer Liftgate Glass Applique
Models: 2002-2003 Explorer

Subject/Concern: LIFTGATE GLASS APPLIQUE

Cause: Some vehicles may exhibit a damaged/cracked plastic applique without glass damage. Replace the applique as necessary. It is no longer necessary to replace the entire liftgate glass assembly to correct this condition. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

Service Procedure

Concern Description:
Some 2002/03 built Explorer's either XLT or Limited may experience the rear Applique panel becoming damaged cracked without glass damage. Previously the entire liftgate was to be replaced but now only the applique needs servicing.

Service Action
The following service procedure should be followed when replacing the rear applique, ensure the entire bulletin read before beginning this repair.

Section A should only be undertaken when the pre painted applique is not available, otherwise proceed to Section B.

Section A: Painting The New Applique

1. Lightly scuff the applique panel with a Scotchbrite pad on both sides.
2. Use compressed air and blow off the residue.
3. Spray and wipe the applique with plastic parts cleaner.
4. Mix and apply Ford Approved basecoat material to the outer face of the applique. Allow appropriate flash time between coats.

Note: Do not get any paint/over spray on rear surface of the applique.

5. Mix and apply Ford Approved clear coat to the applique. Use manufacturers recommended flash time and final bake time at 60� C (140� F) panel temperature.

B. Removing The Old Applique
1. Note the locations of the existing emblems. Open lift glass and install a double layer of body tape in the opening area around the lift glass opening. This will protect the liftgate area from possible scratches when removing the applique (Figure 1).
2. Use a T-Handle windshield knife with a 1" blade or equivalent. Do not use mechanical windshield knives. Insert blade in the top left corner between the colored applique and black glass rubber. Close the lift glass. Pull knife downward (top to bottom). This will cut most of the left side urethane bead. Use a soft tip or dead blow hammer to hammer the sharpened spatula/putty knife to cut the remaining urethane holding the applique. Repeat on right side.
Note: Do not try to cut top edge

3. Insert the knife into one of the bottom comers between the colored applique and black rim. Pull the knife across the entire bottom edge. Use spatula/putty knife as necessary to remove residual urethane. DO NOT try to cut top edge. Completing Steps 2 and 3 have cut the majority of the urethane between the applique and black rim.
4. Insert a spatula at the bottom corner of the applique and gently begin to pry up to allow you to firmly grip one end of the applique.
5. Pull and peel the applique from one side to the other.

C. Installation Procedure
1. Scrape or pull all of the old urethane so that it is slightly below the surface of the black rubber mask (razor blade, gasket scraper). Scuff remaining old urethane adhesive with 80 - Grit sand paper around the perimeter.
2. Clean window and back side of new applique with wax and grease remover.
3. Allow flashing of solvents for two minutes.
4. Apply 1/4" bead of adhesive to inner side of the trough where t squeeze out to a minimum when the applique is installed.
Note: Bead size is dependent upon amount of old urethane that is removed. Top of bead should extend approximately % inch beyond trough. The workable time of the adhesive is approximately 10 minutes.
5. Apply applique and firmly press by hand over the entire adhesive area. Clean off squeeze out adhesive immediately with wax and grease remover.
6. Verify alignment of the applique to top rubber mask (Figure 2). Open lift glass. Using extremely light press apply two (2) small clamps on the top corner ends to hold it in place.
Note: Excessive clamp pressure can cause depression in the applique. Be sure that applique is centered, with an even gap on each side.
7. Apply 2" tape, 6" in length every 4 inches vertically, starting on the bottom and then the top edge.
8. Remove clamps on edge and replace with masking tape immediately after Step 8.
9. Apply 2" tape the full length horizontally of top and bottom, wrapping around backside.
10. Allow a minimum of 45 minutes at 21 � C (70� F) dry time and remove tape.
11. Install new emblem WHEN REQUIRED.

There is a post on this here. my 2003 has the same problem. oemdirectsolutions.com has a replacement panel, already painted/colored. There is a video that shows a tech with a putty knife simply lifting the panel away from the liftgate. Once off and the surface cleaned, the replacement panel is put on with double sided tape. 200 bucks complete. I think i am going to pry off the panel and see if i can epoxy it and replace with my own double sided tape. $10 fix if it works.

They should have used double sided tape in the first place, and this would never have happened. The problem is the glass expands and contracts at a different rate than the plastic - but because the plastic is bonded to the glass, it is under tremendous pressure - until one day it just gives way, and BANG.

Using double sided tape instead of epoxy will allow the tape itself to take up the slack between the movement of the glass and the movement of the plastic.

My 2003 Mountaineer just cracked right around the emblem a few days ago too.

Yep mine cracked this winter and I just haven't gotten around to buying a new part and having it painted but the cheapest I've found is.

www.silverstatefordparts.com

1L2Z78402A30CAPTM $76.67

APPLIQUE - REAR PANE

Hey guys, lot's of good info in this tread after you wade through some of the BS... even has a link to an aftermarket company that is offering a replacement that fixes the issue for good & is DIY install:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235694

Here was my $5 solution to my “crack” problem ;)… a not-so-great picture but you get the idea…

S5000824.jpg

It’s a sheet of plastic that I cut out of a UV protected trashcan side that just happened to match the grey bottom on my 02 XLT… cut it to size, removed the existing FORD emblem, 3M’ed that to my plastic sheet & then 3M’ed that to the panel. Covers the crack & the 3M tape will allow the panel to expand/contract at will underneath.

Michigun

You just gotta love Yankee enginuity. :D

I am all for a class action suit. If anyone decides to go through with it please post on this site so we all can get involved.
Mine cracked while still under warranty and was replaced. It has now cracked again. I bought my 02 xls new and now have 115000 miles, so this is the second one to crack. Both happened during very cold temps.

I found it easier to pay $200 for a delivered, painted to OEM color, replacement panel that adheres with 3M tape to prevent the same situation.
No affiliation; www.oemdirectsolutions.com

Abarkl: I'm shocked that you received the replacement panel from OEM Direct Solutions.

I bought the panel through their eBay account autotrendnews, but never received it. The guy was very responsive to my questions before I purchased the panel, but refused to respond to any e-mails or provide tracking info after I paid for the panel/shipping.

I finally had to dispute the charge with eBay/Paypal, and they just refunded my money to me (I waited 5 weeks before going this route... should be ample time to paint/ship the panel).

Don't waste your time dealing with this scammer...

Wouldn't do it...

I am all for a class action suit. If anyone decides to go through with it please post on this site so we all can get involved.
Mine cracked while still under warranty and was replaced. It has now cracked again. I bought my 02 xls new and now have 115000 miles, so this is the second one to crack. Both happened during very cold temps.

In this case, it would be considered a case without merit because it's a cosmetic issue that poses no public threat or hazard. There would be more Explorers/Mounties that did not experience the "crack" than those that have. It may be very frustrating, but considering the age of the vehicle and the "extreme" temperatures that appear to cause the "crack," Fords legal team would clean the complainants' clock... No, I don't work for Ford :D

All this "crack" does is open the market for stronger aftermarket replacements (which are available). :salute:

My brother inlaw has an '04 Xlt. His cracked about 2 years ago. We've got an '03 Xlt identical to his. Just keeping my fingers crossed. I was hoping it was just an '04 problem since ours hasn't cracked yet. But seeing some 03s above have, I guess Im not immune.

Michigun,

Sent you a PM and an Email.

CaptainBob

My 03 cracked vertically just left of the emblem then about an inch from the top of that crack a horizontal split began and is about four inches long so far. May have to look at aftermarket, I don't like to replace a part that failed with another one just like it.

I was driving home when I heard a noise and looked in the rearview mirror and saw the applique flying through the air, landing on the pavement, and breaking in two. Fortunately, the car behind me was far enough back that it didn't hit him. It was in the 70s today so temperature wasn't the issue. I'm guessing the wind got in underneath it and lifted it off, as it had a tendency to bow outward near the middle anyway.

I bought a 2002 used but it was still under 3/36000.I was at my local ford dealership for something else and they told me to keep an eye on that piece where the emblem is because water gets behind it and it freezes and causes it to crack AND THAT THERE WAS A SERVICE BULLETINE FOR IT.Mine wasn't cracked but later I washed the road salt off the window.During that time we had zero degree weather for like a week.Sure enough the next day there was a crack.I called the dealer brought it in and I believe they replace it with a metal one.It didn't cost me a penny(I don't know if this was because it was still under warrenty?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One more

Yup, mine cracked too... :(

But this is just about aestethics, right? I ain't gonna bother fixin' it... What can happen?

Back