Rear Pad Double Tabs Top or Bottom? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Pad Double Tabs Top or Bottom?

SMASHEK

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB 5.0 AWD 4dr
The rear inner and outer pads on my 98 Ex. have two tabs at one end of the pad and one tab at the other. These tabs fit into the stainless sliders. The double tab ends are at the bottom and the single tabs are at the top as you mount the caliper.

I can't find a picture of these but while changing my brothers pads on his Ex I noticed his were installed the other way with double tabs at the top.

Does anyone know if it makes a difference and if so, which way should they be installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure which way they go.... but i do think it matters and shouldnt be done until you know which way they go

Whichever they slide in right. I don't think it will slide in (without really forcing it) if it's upside down.

A couple of quotes from my CD, maybe they can help:

CAUTION: When installed, the locator notch on the brake shoe and lining will be located at the upper end of the rear disc brake caliper.

Install the rear disc brake caliper on the rear disc brake rotor and rear wheel disc brake adapter. Make sure the notches on the upper ends of the brake shoe and lining are seated over the lower ledge of the rear wheel disc brake adapter and the brake shoe and lining tabs are positioned on the lower ledge of the rear wheel disc brake adapter.

Attachments

• brake pic.jpg
    brake pic.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 214

there you go.....

hmmmm... OK I'm still not sure that the picture tells the story. Here is another way to ask my question. Working on the driver side (left), does the caliper rotate on clockwise or counter clockwise?

I seem to remember a thread from a while back that said you could switch pads from side to side to even the wear and prevent squeal. That just does not seem right but maybe I am worrying about something that does not matter.
That still is not really clear

What do you mean Calipers rotating? Switching brake pads can be done from one side of the vehicle to the other (not inner and outer pads) but what is the point of doing this?

I think my very short comment above will put your worries aside. :)

Back