• Register Today It's free!

rear spring sag fix???

tim597EX

Reaction score
City, State
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XL
Hey, I got a 94 4-door, and the rear springs are sagging badly... right now the rear is about 1.5 inch lower than the front, I can't afford new leaf springs, but was wondering if I put a set of Warrior 153's on without doing anything to the front suspention would it be to much lift??? I don't mind if it ends up with a slight rake because I often have it loaded down for camping etc... I just would like some imput befor I put any money out... I did a search and couldn't really find much on this type of fix... any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i cant remember how far away from winnipeg you are, but if you phone north end spring on route 90, they can normally re arc them for around $100, and they will also re arc them to what ever height you want

I live in Boissevain (SW corner MB) about 3 hours from Winnipeg... I forgot that there is that option of re arching the springs... there is a place in Brandon apparently that does it but I think they are quite a bit more expencive... I think I'll look into it... Thanks for the imput....

is re-arching ok to do? I would think that would put added stress on the leaves. I'd think it would be better just to get new leaves. But I really don't know.

and usually those shackles put 1.5-2 inches of lift. From what I read though, that would put more stress on your already broken leaves so it would probably be best to re-arch them or get new ones.

i have done that to a B2 that i had years ago, and i had it airborne just as much as it was on pavement (young and dumb at the time) and i never had any problems. i have also broken 2 different leaf packs in two different rangers that i have owned. i would take them in, get them to replace the broken leaf pack, and re-arch them to match, and also didn't have any problems.

WAR153's are usually too much lift, unless it really is 1.5 inches lower in back. Usually it's less than that, but looks like more since the driver's side sags more than the passenger side due to the gas tank weight.

Look at your Explorer from the back and see if it's leaning to the driver's side.

If so, you can help it by removing the leaf springs and swapping them side to side. This can be pretty involved if the front leaf bolts are rusted to the hangers and require cutting and replacing the bushings and bolts.

Also check the pads/spacers on the ends of the middle leaf springs. If they're missing or badly torn up and damaged, new pads can help. Get 'em at a spring shop or from Eaton Detroit Spring (www.eatonsprings.com)

WAR123 shackles (rather than WAR153) lift the rear end just about the right amount with the stock springs to make up for the sag. However, they're made for YJ's, so the bolts are 1/2". You'll need a 9/16" drill bit to enlarge the holes and 14mm/9/16" bolts with metal locknuts to make them safely fit the Explorer.

If you frequently have it loaded down for camping though, you might want to go with add-a-leafs instead.

Re-arching can help, but it's a temporary fix since they'll go back to sagging after awhile. An add-a-leaf kit would be the most bang for the buck fix-wise for a vehicle that sees loads.

Back