rear stabilizer link bolt broke/snapped off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear stabilizer link bolt broke/snapped off

mikepier

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
15 XL
99 XLT, original owner. Went over a speed bump, low speed, heard a loud pop, thought nothing of it.

When I got home, looked underneath, found one of the rear stabilizer link bolts broke clean off (the lower bolt). The bushing was also gone. Anyone ever had this happen? These were the original links, so not sure if maybe the bolt was seized/frozen, and did not want to move when I hit the speed bump.

Ordered a new set of links off RockAuto,K80139, but it appears it only comes with a bolt/nut for one end. I'm assuming my upper mounting hardware is still good to use, but are these bolts/nuts anything special, or easy to get at an Auto parts store if I need new ones?

Very common, particularly the front. The replacement part is likely just a long bolt in a sleeve, therefore it only needs one nut.

Appears Moog changed their rear sway bar end link design and uses parts from the K80085 bushing repair kit. Previously the lower stud was pressed into the flange bushings. Regardless, LOWER hardware is included with the replacement end links.
Never found the a factory torque spec for the upper frame bolt fastened with a frame u-nut and used the same 58 ft/lb. spec as the lower. Not a bad idea to lube the bolts before installation, rear end links and frame bushings are notorious for squeaks.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=k80139

Back