Rear steel brake line clips, attachment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear steel brake line clips, attachment

Giant Turtle

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
The steel brake lines at the rear of my 99 XLT are rusty and I want to replace them. The seem to be attached at the axle on the left and right and above the central axle housing. Problem is, my clips seem to be all rusted to a blobby mass. Before I go tearing into that mess, can anyone tell me how the brake lines are fixed there? Are there replacement parts for these attachment points? Alternatively any suggestions for how to fix the new brake line to the axle. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The steel brake lines at the rear of my 99 XLT are rusty and I want to replace them. The seem to be attached at the axle on the left and right and above the central axle housing. Problem is, my clips seem to be all rusted to a blobby mass. Before I go tearing into that mess, can anyone tell me how the brake lines are fixed there? Are there replacement parts for these attachment points? Alternatively any suggestions for how to fix the new brake line to the axle. Thanks.

I used wire ties. Not beautiful but it does the job. I also wrap the area on the brake lines that contact other metal with some 3M quality exterior electrical tape. When I took off the axle brake line it just split at the center clip with little effort.

I'm doing the same job. Others might have more info since I'm a newbie but...the metal clips I think you are referring to hold the brake hose connection to the steel line assemble. Try spraying the clips (area) with PB blaster—wait 15 min and work them out with your handa or pliers (maybe heat with a torch). Your gonna have to remove the brake screw nut anyway. If the clip crumbles, there are replacements at Napa or the dealer. They crumbled on me. I cut the steal line going into the brake screw. Then blasted it with PB. Then used a socket to free the nut. Then I removed the clip.

I'm talking about the clips on the axle and the central axle housing, not the line-hose connection. They appear to be fused/welded to the axle, but mine are so rusted I can't tell. I'm sure that when I remove the rusted steel brake line they will brake away with it, so I am trying to figure out a solution for replacing those 3 clips before I start the job.

I'm thinking something like this fastened with a hose clamp would do the job for the two axles, but not sure about securing the line the central axle housing. Any ideas?

intrepid-braketie.jpg

OK, so on further inspection the centre clip is bolted to the axle housing. It is an S-shaped clip that also retains the parking brake cable on the other (front) side of the axle. I'll try to find a part number, but if anyone could post it here I would be grateful.

Any other clever ideas for how to fix the brake line to the axle?

Giant Turtle,

Are you still around?? I am curious, all these years later what the final outcome of your clips were? I'm having the same issue and just started a thread about it.

My thread about the rear brake line clips - same questions as you

Giant Turtle,

Are you still around?? I am curious, all these years later what the final outcome of your clips were? I'm having the same issue and just started a thread about it.

My thread about the rear brake line clips - same questions as you

Other than welding on new metal tabs to fold over there's not much else you can do. I'd probably use a couple of fairly wide zip-ties or even worm-style radiator hose clamps. The original metal tabs just held the line out of the way. Zip-ties or hose clamps would accomplish the same thing. If you use hose clamps don't go nuts tightening them, not that you'd collapse the brake line, but they wouldn't need to be super tight. Just tight enough to stay in place.

Back