Rear tire carrier from CRL customs | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear tire carrier from CRL customs

It just arrived. WooHoo!!!

Cory,

All looks fine. All is in tact, box is sealed and the tubes are wrapped nicely. UPS driver is a Puss though. "I am too tired for this, boo hoo" LOL What a beaver!

I will keep y'all posted and steal the digi cam from work and keep a running log of photos.

YES!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Josh -

No problem, I certainly had no patent on the design. I think yours look great. Not sure if you remember, but I have a Smiitybilt bumper, so I incorporated my design into the existing bumper. I really like the way your project turned out.

As for Korea, its not too bad, but sure, I miss the States. I can measure time spent OCONUS in years, but its a decent job so the time will go quickly.

Paul
'91 Sport

Paul, well at least you aren't hating it over there. You don't have your truck with you do you? Yeah, i knew you added your swing on later cause you had the front and rear tubes.

Happy trails!!

Well, here is an update. I've been doing a lot of welding on this jewel. I've used 2+ lbs. or .030 wire on this baby in the last week. The things i have done so far are:

-beefed up the bumper mounts to make them wrap around the bottom of the frame so the bumper will not mover up or down
-added a tow hook to one side of the mounts, welded it on and bolted it to the frame also
-added a 2 pieces of small metal with holes in them and welded one to the swivel and one to the bumper it self so i can open the swing, and drop a pin through the 2 holes and it will stay where i want it.
-last night i added my high lift jack, not really sure how Cory does his, but this is close i imagine, hope i didn't steal your design Cory.

That's about it so far. I'll get some pictures of the rest of the add ons, but here are the 2 i have right now.

Happy trails!!

Attachments

• im000696.jpg
    im000696.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 188

from the rear

Attachments

• im000695.jpg
    im000695.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 198

Originally posted by JoshC
-beefed up the bumper mounts to make them wrap around the bottom of the frame so the bumper will not move up or down

I started making my own brackets to do the same thing. Plus it's just easier.

-last night i added my high lift jack, not really sure how Cory does his, but this is close i imagine, hope i didn't steal your design Cory.

Thats the same way I do the Hi-lift mounts. Don't sweat it!

That's cool that you are making your own brakets now, probably is easier since you're shipping some out.

I tell you what with a tire and a high lift on there, it makes that swing out pretty freaking heavy! But it doesn't matter. I forgot to mention that i had to shorten my highlift, instead of a 48, i now have a 44, haha. Probably wasn't the smartest idea, but that's okay. My door wouldn't close after i mounted that thing on there.

Happy trails!!

Back