91 X by black91EB | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 X by black91EB

I have been a member for a few months on here, and just went elite yesterday, this site has saved me 20 bucks at least so I felt it was well worth it. I have a 1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4 that I have done some minor mods to thus far, and I also completed my first "major" modification yesterday in going to a 1354 Manual case. Found it at a U-Pull-It yard for under $100 including the shifter and boot. In addition I had to change the rear diff cover, something about the stock fiberglass cover not standing up well to a log I had to back over. :(
Anyway, I figured I would start a thread showing what I have done, and add as I make progress, and maybe help some people out in how I did something, and get ideas along the way.
DSCN0676.jpg

Here's what I have now.

DSCN0694.jpg

Manual case really looks good in my truck:D

DSCN0689.jpg

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but the shifter that was on the TC when I got it would not clear the transmission shifter. I don't know if they used a different shifter for the manual, since the TC came out of a 91 ex with an automatic. BTW, do NOT try to bend the shifter for clearance, it will break, thus the gorrilla welds. (you know, big strong and ugly)

DSCN0692.jpg

DSCN0691.jpg

There is the broken diff cover, I have a steel one off an f-series on there now. (good thing about being a parts packrat)
Anyway, thats all I have for now, the next thing will probably be some auxilary lighting front and back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could have dropped in a manual... M5OD was used till right before 2000 I believe.

Yeah, if it weren't IFS I woulda just swapped the trans and transfer case out of my '91 when the engine blew and start over. Plus the 4 door thing is nice. I believe you could still get a manual until at least '04 too, though it was the M5HD

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

An engine transplant with this:
GetAttachment1.jpg

into the sport would be really really cool.

Contrary to popular belief, ford did not cancel that engine, they just didn't put it in the half ton like they were planning. They use it in cab-over box trucks currently. Here is a link to Ford's page on those trucks.

Ford LCF Truck Line

An engine transplant with this:
GetAttachment1.jpg

into the sport would be really really cool.

Contrary to popular belief, ford did not cancel that engine, they just didn't put it in the half ton like they were planning. They use it in cab-over box trucks currently.

Mmmhmmm, torque. Tastes like power, with a little burned rubber for seasoning. :D

Awaiting the build thread with baited breath. I really really want a diesel in my truck.

That would be a long time in the future, so, who knows what will happen. The idea is neat. (Would have to look into what bell pattern it uses to determine if it were even feasable)

so, as things often do on a truck that has been treated like this, something else broke. I had the driver's side front shock go completely out, and this caused some very interesting problems at highway speeds. So, went to replace shocks, and found out the lower balljoint on the passenger side was completely shot. (I could move it a quarter inch in every direction:( ) So, thankfully I had another knuckle with good ball joints on it, so I just swapped them out. Alignment is pretty close, but will get it done soon after some other stuff gets fixed.

This thread details how to remove them, it came in handy.
How-To: 1st Gen Ball Joints / U Joints / Spindle Bearings by TedJ

Explorer in snow/ice anyone?
explorerinsnow.jpg

So, this weekend should end with my ex having disk brakes in the back. I have found at least 4 second gen 3.73LS rears ranging from $80-125. Considering my truck has 200K on the axle, the clutches are worn out and it needs all new brake parts, it just makes more sense to pay for a jy axle and swap it. I already have a master cylinder, so that wont be an issue. I plan on going to get it tomorrow, and do the swap on friday.

so, got it a little later than I planned, but I now have 4 wheel disk brakes on my truck. Axle came out of a '97 5.0 truck, so it had the third shock bracket and the trac bar mounts, neither of which I am using. I actually got it really cheap because it was in a truck that was headed for the crusher.
0_1.jpg

While I was at it, I ditched the rear sway bar and did a poor man's add-a-leaf by cutting the eyes off of a 4-door leaf pack and putting it under my existing top leaf. Seems to work great and ride a lot better. I haven't towed anything with it, but it should really help how my truck sags even with an empty trailer. 2wd F-150 spacers are next to level it back out and eliminate my SLIGHT but annoying front tire rub.

Pics are coming, my camera met an unfortunate end.

so, pulled a 16ft tandem axle trailer HEAPING with dirt and gravel around the farm, and it sags a whole lot less. I would say homemade ad-a-leaf is a success. Plus the handling is better, even without that joke of a sway bar.

Next up? Maybe a rear bumper, maybe a tool box, maybe a console, haven't decided yet. Have to finish my brother's engine/transmission swap in his FSB first.

so, went wheeling yesterday, and got stuck. Fortunately, I had a winch....
0_2.jpg

0_1-1.jpg

The hood is up so I could get the winch controller out. The bank on this side of the ditch is about the same as the other side, and I couldn't quite claw my way up it without sliding into a tree.

If you look at my rear wheels, you see that flex was not affected much by the addition of the rear leaf. (though, i did ditch that stupid spindly sway bar whilst I was at it, so that might have helped...)

Looks like good times. :D

yeah, that ditch is alot of fun, but I think some tree trimming might be in its future. I'll try to get a better pic next time I am back there, but it's tricky getting up and out of the ditch when it is even a little wet, due to the trees on both sides.

Hey! we both went wheelin yesterday! lol

I high centered in a rut and got pulled out with a strap, couldnt open my door as it was agaisnt a bank and my winch controller was in the way back somewhere.

so..... I have a lake. Didn't plan on having one, didn't really want one, but I have one.

My trail runs right through here. Red arrow is about 6 feet, yellow arrow is about 9-10 feet.

0_1-4.jpg

so..... I have a lake. Didn't plan on having one, didn't really want one, but I have one.

LOL!! That is just crazy. Looks like you need a lift...or some Super Swamper tires.

That lake really looks nasty...hmmm, MUDDING TIME!!

LOL!! That is just crazy. Looks like you need a lift...or some Super Swamper tires.

That lake really looks nasty...hmmm, MUDDING TIME!!

A canoe is more like it.

Yeah, fortunately we live out in the country and the house is on high ground. The actual city of Millington got hammered.

From the ditch my truck is stuck in a couple posts back to the top of the water was every bit of 12 feet.

wow, yeah I've been following all the rain on the news. Just seems like America is being hammered right now between all the disasters the past couple weeks...

yeah, tennessee got hit pretty well. Here are some more pics from my place.

This belongs to the DOT, they parked it in our field next to the road while they were working
3.jpg

These 2 are of the same field I posted a little while ago, but out in it. Water is about 6 feet deep.
2.jpg

1.jpg

This is a bridge they closed about 35 years ago and partially dissasembled.
4.jpg

hope your doing all right in the flood...stay safe

well, nothing new to report, other than my 1354 manual is out and a I have one of my e-shift cases in there. Seems that the manual was getting stuck in 4hi all the time, and really killing my milage and such. On a happier note, my truck had 1,456 miles put on it in the beginning of last week, as I made a round trip from Memphis to Port Clinton, OH. Ran great, though it got pretty crappy milage due to the 31's and my desire to get there faster :D

Back