Rear turn signals | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear turn signals

Do you have any pictures of your installation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did not take any pictures of the install, but I can give you some detailed instructions if you are interested.

Here you go:

-Remove the tail light assembly.
-Disconnect the wiring harness from the tail light assembly
-Test fit the new LED light in the turn signal bulb location. I used a Dremel to remove the tabs that hold the factory turn signal bulb socket in position.
-Secure the LED using the provided screws and gasket.
-Identify the wires to be used. (These were the colors on mine, verify they are correct for your vehicle first.)
-Violet - Turn Signal Positive
-Tan - Brake Light Positive
-Black - I took the black wires from the turn signal and brake lights and spliced them together to ensure the light would function in both modes of operation.

-Follow the direction on the LED packaging to configure the LED light modes.

-Wire the MODE 1 wire to the Brake Light Positive
-Wire the MODE 2 wire to the Turn Signal Positive
-Wire the Black Wire to the Black wire on the vehicle.

The turn signals required the use of a load resistor to prevent the "hyper-flash" associated with the decreased amperage draw. I used a pair from Putco that were 25w resistors.
-Wire one lead from the resistor to the Turn Signal Positive wire.
-Wire the remaining lead from the resistor to chassis ground.

The driver for the LED light will fit perfectly just below the light assembly in a small cavity in the bumper. I secured the load resistor to the chassis for heat dissipation. Finally, weatherproof all of the connections and zip tie the loose wires.

******Test the lights with the vehicle running to ensure the "hyper-flash" is not experienced!******

Lastly, reinstall the light assembly. Rinse and repeat for the other side. I have received a lot of complements on mine. They are much bright than the stock setup and easily visible in all lighting conditions.

I like everything about this idea aside from having to cut the assembly to fit these making it impossible to revert back to a standard bulb if necessary.

Back