• Register Today It's free!

Rear Window Defogger

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Is the rear window defogger in these vehicles effective? I checked my fuse (good) and my light comes on when pressed but let's just say it doesn't do much. Generally the rear heat from the overhead 3rd row seat defrosts/defogs that window long before the defogger grid does.

Is this typical?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No that is not the norm for these vehicles. The rear Defroster should work very well but chances are your may need some attention. Look at the defroster grid for breaks and check the places where the wires attach to the window. Something is definitely wrong!

Thanks. There do not seem to be any breaks, because no lines have frost remaining while others clear up. I have experience with a broken grid on another vehicle. It just seems to work...s-l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-w. I'll check the tab where it connects to the grid.

Okay, found it. My rear defroster grid has become seperated/broken at the point on the passenger side where the power tab connects to the grid., under the plastic trim piece That long conduit glued to the window seems to be warping upwards and away from the glass.

Is there a fix for these or just replace the rear window?

Yes there is a kit for that!

I've used that before, which is a good fix for a broken grid line, but in this case it's the hot terminal that connects power to the grid which is pulled up and away. It's a copper-based electrically-conductive glue that appears to glue the grid terminal to the grid.

I read the reviews on Amazon, and at least 1 of the low ratings was from someone who tried this product to repair the condition you have. It's intended for the grid, not the supply.

That said, I would think someone can help you find the right conductive adhesive for the job.

Or maybe more of this product needs to be used than the typical 4 coats. Maybe you apply several coats to build up the thickness to the right "gage" for high conductivity. The apply a final layer to both surfaces, and apply light pressure to adhere. I'm grasping at straws here, but maybe...

I would start looking at local glass repair shops they will more then likely be able to assess the issue and offer a solution...

That's it.. I just had to make the same repair on mine about 2 months ago. Be careful not to sand too much material off when you're cleaning up the window side. It's a very thin layer on there and easy to rub right through. I ended up buying the combo pack with both the tab adhesive and the grid repair and painting a new conductive layer on the window to fix the tab to.

Good luck !

Just curious (sp), was this the solution to the problem? I believe I have the same issue on my 08 EB.

Orlando

Back