Rear Window Wiper Fluid No Longer Works | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Window Wiper Fluid No Longer Works

gpaps

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6L V8
I have a 2002 Explorer XLT. My rear wiper fluid worked great a month ago until I ran out of fluid. I refilled the fluid tank and then it did not work any longer. When I turn the switch to get fluid I hear the motor but no fluid comes out. Has anyone had this same problem and corrected it? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump??

In my '02 there is a splice in the water line about a foot before it goes through the firewall. It's on top of the RF wheel well a bit aft of the radiator overflow tank. I found it pulled apart there once and just pushed the two ends back together in the splice fitting.

Hey gpaps, I noticed that you posted 6yrs ago but still I want to mention that I was having the same problem (I always heard the motor working but no water on the rear windshield) on my 02 xls until this morning (I bought it 8 months ago:p:). I follow some comments on the net about checking the splice under the hood, on the passenger right side and the very end on the rear light but nothing happened, so this is what I did:

- I disconnect the splice under the hood and the water was coming out... so the problem was on the line somewhere between the front passenger side and the end of the line at the courtesy light.

- I checked the passenger side and I couldn't find any splice there, so I just checked that the line was not cut...

- I went back to the end of the line and first I checked that the orifice was not clog, I wasn't sure if it was or not but I still use a needle to open the orifice in case that it was clog... then I went in into the trunk and take out the trim on the roof and the trim on the right side corner... First on the top of the roof I looked for the line to see if there was another splice there or not... and no splice however there is something like a little splitter right before the line gets into the courtesy light. I took that out to see if it was clog but it was ok... then I followed the line to the right side corner and I found a splice right there and at that moment, I noticed that one side of the line was disconnected... after I connected again, the water on the rear windshield was working again, after I don't know how much time (at least 8 months with me)...

Please note that I knew that the motor was working so if this is the case of someone else, just follow the line until you find something like this... it's pretty easy...

Hopefully this helps someone else...

:salute:

Mine quit working near the end of winter. Apparently it had frozen up and popped a connector off. Mine was near the air box/filter so I could see fluid leaking onto the ground inside the right front tire. It was disconnected just as it went inside the fender area from the engine compartment. I had to carefully remove the air box and then reattach the hose onto the connector. I threw some small tie wraps on it to prevent it from coming apart there in the future.

Back