• Register Today It's free!

Rear Window Wiper

noles4life002

Reaction score
City, State
Zeeland, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
Out of curiosity, has anyone had a problem with the rear window wiper lifting off the glass? If there is any snow on the rear window, when you run it, the wiper lifts off the glass rendering it useless. It seems as though the arm is loose where it connects to the window. Is there a way to tighten the arm to the window? Any guidance is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a simmilar issue on my 97. there are rubber sleeves on the bolts that hold the wiper motor to the tailgate that are supposed the allow it to flex a small amount. however if the rubber wears out it allows the wiper assembly to move excessively. i was able to tighten mine enough to keep the arm in contact with the window. also there could be corrosion on the wiper arm hinge causing that to freeze up.

I'll try both things, thanks for the quick reply. Good to see another West Michigander stalking the forums.

just a word of warning. if you dont have any experience dealing with interior panels. there are some tabs molded into the panel on the rear hatch. i had to slide the panel down to release the tabs before pulling the panel out. if those tabs brake off it can cause a rattle from the back of the car.

I got the panel off, and I can see what you're talking about. You can't act like a gorilla, when you're taking off the panels. As for the wiper, the hinge was basically frozen, but the actual motor seemed very tight. I see the rubber washers that you are talking about, but I couldn't tighten either side. I think I'll replace the blade I have in there and see if the hinge was the problem.

Bonus is that I found out the rear wiper fluid must have broke on my wife this winter as well. I am getting a puddle of washer fluid by the passenger rear wheel. Now I have to figure out how to fix that. I tried to get under the rear and it is all welded up. I must have to come from the interior some how. That will be the next fix.

So I finally got to the rear wiper this weekend, and the replacement blade did nothing. I was changing the blades on my other car when I realized that my rear wiper didn't have a spring on it. It never dawned on me when I was looking at just the Explorer, but it clicked once I looked at the other car. So, that's my problem. My new problem is, where do I find that spring?

only place would be a junkyard if you got any close, but if its the same as my heeps, the stearlership is the the only place.
As for the washer tub, i had mine stripped down there is a hose running behind the RR Qtr trim panel, the big piece. It runs along the passenger sill plate.

only place would be a junkyard if you got any close, but if its the same as my heeps, the stearlership is the the only place.
As for the washer tub, i had mine stripped down there is a hose running behind the RR Qtr trim panel, the big piece. It runs along the passenger sill plate.

Thanks for the response. I have 3 or 4 JY's in the area. I'll check them out. My guess is that the stealership won't sell me the spring, I'll have to buy the entire wiper arm. Looks like that will run me 40-50 bucks.
I found a post with my problem in the wiper fluid, that made it an easy fix. Here's the link to it, if anyone else has the same problem.
Linkified

Hey Guys, I have an issue regarding my rear wiper motor being constantly on. I turn it off and it continues to keep going. I pull my fuse under the dash and it still continues to go.....very weird. So I went to the front of my 2004 Explorer Limited 4x4 4.6L and removed the high current fuse for the rear wiper. I have to take it out for a couple days and then put it back in, and sometimes its still on. What you think the problem is?

Back