Rebuilding the 4.0 OHV | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilding the 4.0 OHV

I still had the stock cam, but I passed Harris Co TX emissions (as tough as CA) with all my mods.

s/c, hiflo cat, computer, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kyle,

I just looked at your year. Have you had the head work done?? I would suggest that you look into the newer castings for heads. The eary models tend to crack - which isnt readily noticable. the stock castings got better ater 93.

I would seriously look into the new castings rather than mess with the old ones- they werent around when I built mine, but if they were I wouldnt have put the money into the old castings.
Once again check with 4.0performance they have the replacements.

The heads were pressure tested and were in great shape. For the price of new heads, I had these completely done for much less and completely ported.

In California, emissions standards change from area to area. I'm in a pretty strict area and I dont want to take the chance of it not passing. and for the price of the cam, I can put a lot more focus on the other parts, and pay for items such as a chip.

Anyone here rebuilt

Anyone here rebuilt a 4.0 SOHC?

i don't think it would be really worth it you need all of these speacial tools it would be easier and cheaper just to swap in a new one

Kebert get the 410 cam, it will make the chip look stupid and still be emissions exzempt.

You want to go through all this, have the heads done, clean up the intakes, rebuild the whole block, bore it over, and not do the cam? The stock cam profiile is a dog, the 410 cam will really wake up your OHV, then later down the road get the chip and really have some improvement :)

New Pistons:

Attachments

• dscn0458.jpg
    dscn0458.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 242

Attachments

• dscn0457.jpg
    dscn0457.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 251

Back