Removing 3rd Row Seats & Installing Cross Brace | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing 3rd Row Seats & Installing Cross Brace

Post number 10 has been selected as best answered.

I just got a quote for the x-brace from the dealership that we bought our Sport from. I sent them the parts diagram that Benny posted above. They are saying $650.49. Any idea why it is so much more expensive here?

The brace cost is $140 so anything above this is profit for the dealership.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Guys!

So I got the Setina partition installed tonight.... It is intended for the Utility Interceptor.... but fits PERFECTLY in the Explorer Sport.

Here's Pictures: https://www.elitek9.ca/explorer-mods.html

I think the plate will install very easily, Adam. The Explorer Sport has two small access panels that will prevent having to remove the entire side panels in order to install the x-brace. From what I can see (from the Havis installation manual) the fixed portion of the plate mounts to the two bolts that stick up from the x-brace. There should be no modification required to the carpet, only some minor cutting of the Styrofoam in the spare tire well.

I'm really impressed with how well the Utility Interceptor accessories fit in the Explorer Sport. We ordered an Ace K-9 HeatPro system, which monitors the temperature inside the vehicle and sets off the horn and drops the windows if the temperature becomes too hot or cold for the dogs (if they are in the vehicle unattended). It seems to be fairly "plug and play" so we'll see how that goes. I will keep posting pics as I go along.

The brace cost is $140 so anything above this is profit for the dealership.

Ya I only ended up paying $231 from Benny's dealership, including shipping to Canada. The dealership here was WAY out to lunch... a bit irritating since we just bought 2 new vehicles from them.

So adamdz - did you end up putting in the X brace?

Yup, just installed it like 30 minutes ago. I had to remove one side panel, because I could not put the brace down otherwise. Other than than there were no issues. The side panels even have slight round cutouts to accommodate the angled rods.

It's worth noticing that it does not obstruct the spare wheel even the slightest.

So, a happy ending! Thanks to all for ideas and thanks to Benny!

Here is the brace powdercoated:

IMG_0618.jpg

Here are some pictures from the installation:

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

Interesting.. this is clearly the best solution for everyone that wants to remove the 3rd row seat but also maintain chassis rigidity.

Interesting.. this is clearly the best solution for everyone that wants to remove the 3rd row seat but also maintain chassis rigidity.

Definitely. I'm glad this came up. I've updated my original post recommending against the seat removal unless replaced with this brace. Thanks :)

Nobody has mentioned the bracing underneath attached across the the unibody on the police interceptor. The chance of rear side impact are slim. The rear tires will act as a buffer to keep the coolers safe, since nobody will be sitting back there.

Nobody has mentioned the bracing underneath attached across the the unibody on the police interceptor. The chance of rear side impact are slim. The rear tires will act as a buffer to keep the coolers safe, since nobody will be sitting back there.

I think someone mentioned that the x-brace affects the torsion and the "sedan-like" handling of the Explorer. We are removing our third row to create a kennel area for our working dogs, so the rear-impact integrity is important to us.

I think someone mentioned that the x-brace affects the torsion and the "sedan-like" handling of the Explorer. We are removing our third row to create a kennel area for our working dogs, so the rear-impact integrity is important to us.

In my city, the police interceptors have the internal x-bracing as well as a u shaped channel underneath for more integrity. The x-brace should keep the pups safe just fine. Just wanted to mention that there is other bracing available.

I think to be safe none of us here really know the true answer to crash integrity or crash worthiness when items are removed. I also assume Ford would not tell us here if there is really any issues with this. But I know from experience in the vehicle upfitting business the general answer is if we did not tell you you should or can do things, then we really do not think you should be doing it or it is not tested in that configuration.

IE: If there was an option for no third row seat then it was tested to be safe and not affect the vehicle.

I have seen no instructions for removal etc.. thus we can only assume that Ford has not tested it on the civilian model and we are all just assuming it is ok to make the changes.

I think to be safe none of us here really know the true answer to crash integrity or crash worthiness when items are removed. I also assume Ford would not tell us here if there is really any issues with this. But I know from experience in the vehicle upfitting business the general answer is if we did not tell you you should or can do things, then we really do not think you should be doing it or it is not tested in that configuration.

IE: If there was an option for no third row seat then it was tested to be safe and not affect the vehicle.

I have seen no instructions for removal etc.. thus we can only assume that Ford has not tested it on the civilian model and we are all just assuming it is ok to make the changes.

Too late.... lol ;)

At your own risk.... would be the suggestion...

Has anyone tried to remove just one of the back row seats? If I am reading the thread correctly, both seats are removed together, correct? For those who have removed them, could just one side be removed?

Has anyone tried to remove just one of the back row seats? If I am reading the thread correctly, both seats are removed together, correct? For those who have removed them, could just one side be removed?

I believe its both or none in the way i have seen the assembly designed..

the rear seat assembly also acts as a cross brace for the rear of the vehicle. You might be able to remove one side of the seat but would have to fabricate all new mounts or leave the cross bar in place.. that said it would also not tie the rear end together properly and that is really the theme of this entire thread - removing the support structure could equal less crash worthiness and or chassis stiffness...

Thanks bb, that's what I was getting from all the posts, just wanted to ask nonetheless. I need one of the seats, but could really make use of the space if one seat could be sacrificed. With three kiddos back there, it not worth the risk however. Now I'm in the market for a cargo carrier!

Yup, just installed it like 30 minutes ago. I had to remove one side panel, because I could not put the brace down otherwise. Other than than there were no issues. The side panels even have slight round cutouts to accommodate the angled rods.

It's worth noticing that it does not obstruct the spare wheel even the slightest.

So, a happy ending! Thanks to all for ideas and thanks to Benny!

Here is the brace powdercoated:

IMG_0618.jpg

Here are some pictures from the installation:

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

Could you please post a few more pics of what the finished product looks like?
With all the panels/seats/spare tire cover installed back?

Definitely. I'm glad this came up. I've updated my original post recommending against the seat removal unless replaced with this brace. Thanks :)

Are you able to tell me how much the back seats weigh? And the replacement brace? It would be quite interesting to see the difference in weight, and how much that may translate to a difference in the pocketbook.

Very rough estimate: Lets say it saved 100 pounds. That would decrease the weight of the vehicle by ~2%. Assuming a linear scale (weight % decrease to mpg increase), and an average yearly cost in gas of $3000, this would save... $60 per year! So this mod may pay for itself in a little under 3 years. Not bad considering the space savings, and a bit of a faster vehicle as well. Note: this may encourage a lead foot, and thus negate the gas savings. :D

Could you please post a few more pics of what the finished product looks like?
With all the panels/seats/spare tire cover installed back?

I'd love to see the finished product as well!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you able to tell me how much the back seats weigh? And the replacement brace? It would be quite interesting to see the difference in weight, and how much that may translate to a difference in the pocketbook.

Very rough estimate: Lets say it saved 100 pounds. That would decrease the weight of the vehicle by ~2%. Assuming a linear scale (weight % decrease to mpg increase), and an average yearly cost in gas of $3000, this would save... $60 per year! So this mod may pay for itself in a little under 3 years. Not bad considering the space savings, and a bit of a faster vehicle as well. Note: this may encourage a lead foot, and thus negate the gas savings. :D

I'd love to see the finished product as well!

I was barely able to get the seat out by myself with lots of effort and it was a two-person job to carry it upstairs while the brace is something I can lift easily with one hand. I'm really bad at estimating weights -- and I'm also weak for a guy -- but I'd say the seat was 75lbs and the brace is maybe 10lbs.

Back