removing a bad touch up 1997 EX 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removing a bad touch up 1997 EX 5.0

Someone keyed my dads explorer, so he painted the WHOLE door with off the shelf auto touch up spray. Now, 2 years later, the door looks terrible. Flaking, and just plain bad. I want to remove he touch up paint and get back to the original paint, and just do a normal touch up on the scratch. Is there a way to get this stuff off, without damaging the original paint underneath ? The only thing i could think of is buff real hard with some compound and a machine buffer. Anyone have any other suggestions ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well there is no way to get to the origonal paint and not damage it going in.

Your best bet is to sand the door through the muk down the the good stuff and repaint it.

Did he sand it before he used the spray paint? and if he did, did he use a coarser grit than 1200? if not, You can try wet sanding the door with 1500/2000 grit to remove the bad paint ( be careful not to sand through the original clear coat) and buffing it with an aggressive compound such as Mequires Diamond cut, then some machine glaze to remove the scratches the diamond cut made, then last of all a hand glaze, it should work depending on if the spray paint etched into the original paint. If that works and you want to touch up the key scratch, use a fine tipped brush, just painting the scratch and apply it so that when its dry it's higher than the original surface, after it's dry, using 1500/2000 grit sandpaper on a piece of a stir stick, wet sand it down flush to the original and buff. GOOD LUCK

No kiddin that wet sanding and, just paint fixs a bad scratch. I was told I would have to paint the whole door. It's a scratch that is across the left back door. Ill have to get pics to show a before and after. And what color is your ex mace? Hope the fix goes well!
Dan

re:

its a forest green. and i talked to the dad, he said he didnt sand b4 he painted. so the fine grit may have a chance. i was even thinkin of a few rounds of straight simple green soaking. might loosen it up. I'll take pics b4 and after. and hopefully not a third set of pics after a MAACO trip haha.
heres one pic, not too close, but u can kinda see the rear door.

yeah that looks pretty bad :(

Because he didn't sand the surface first you can try using an overspray clay or foam which is available at a body shop supply store, I have seen a Mequires brand clay at an auto parts store but I don't know how good it works, the best clay to buy is called Magic Blue but it's a bit pricey ($25 - $30) however there's a good alternative put out by Dominion, coincidently named Overspray Clay, my store sells it for $8. but I live in CA and it's probably cheaper in some other states. A good rubbing compound might even take it off. You all are welcome to email me, david_1621@sbcglobal.net if you have any questions, I was a painter for several years and now I am partners in a bodyshop supply store

Back