Removing front drive shaft...Need Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing front drive shaft...Need Help

xMike87x

Reaction score
City, State
St. Peters, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
Ok to start off i have a 96 explorer v8 awd. Its been clunking under acceleration (1/2 throttle or more). Its worse when turning. I found a torn boot on driver side cv axle so i replaced the cv axle. It got better but didnt fix the issue. Next i replaced the passenger side cv axle but the clunk is still there..

I did the wiggle check with the tires 1st of course and they are solid. So today i went to remove the front driveshaft to further my diagnosis (yes i am aware of the "creep in park issue"). I cant get the driveshaft to disconnect from the tc. I removed 4 bolts on the flange and it wont seperate. The front is diconnected from the diff. It is currently just dangling...

Am i missing something or doin something wrong? I even gave it a lil tap :hammer: on the side of the flange and it wont budge..

Any and all help id greatly appreciated,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heres what Im looking at (lets see if i got this right never posted pics before)

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

Is it possible that the 2 flanges have just rusted together? Both chilton's and haynes say unbolt 4 bolts and remove..

Thanks,
Mike

I use a small sharp chisel and drive it between the two flanges to separate them. Check for burs and file/grind as needed before reassembly.

Cool Ill give it a shot. Just wanted be 100% positive I wasnt doing somethin wrong. Ive never messed with driveshafts before and didnt want to break anything.

Thanks,
Mike

You can smack them pretty hard before you risk breaking anything. Maybe you can start it coming apart with a chisel until you can get a prybar in there.

U can drive it around with out front driveshaft, but be careful when putting it in park on inclines, my brother did and said with out front driveshaft it will disengage something in t-case and can roll.

it actually just creeps. mine moved 1 car length down my driveway over the span of about an hour. make sure your parking break works or buy a cheap wheel chock for it.

Got the driveshaft off. Just needed a chisel and a lil extra persuasion :hammer:

I am aware of the creep and do not intend to leave it out. Im trying to pinpoint the clunk Ive been getting under acceleration. Sure enough it was gone when I just went on about a 10-15 mile test drive around town.

U joints on the driveshaft seemed fine. Which means my clunk has gotta be comin from the tranfercase. Ive read about the chain stretching overtime and I believe thats my problem. I need to have this problem taken care of by the time the snow hits.

My future plans at this upcoming tax return are PA883 and 33's followed soon after by a 4406 swap.

Is there any way I can guesstimate the remaining life of my transfercase?
I dont want to have to replace it with another awd then 6 months tear it back out.

Thanks,
Mike

it might be pretty cheap to replace just the chain in the tcase. i've never done it but it seems like it would be pretty easy.

Ya I read somewhere on here that theres a rebuild kit. IIRC though it wasnt that much less than a used awd transfercase. Ill have to look more into this rebuild kit. Im confident I could do the work if I have the proper instructions.

Thanks,
Mike

Back