Removing Headliner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Headliner

Reaction score
Hi, anyone know how to remove (and replace) the headliner in the new generation explorer?
I'm planning on installing a perminant antenna at the back of the car roof top.
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, anyone know how to remove (and replace) the headliner in the new generation explorer? Thanks in advance.
I don't know if anyone on this Forum has removed the entire headliner. For some reason there seems to be a lot of this going around lately. By this I mean owners wanting to replace/rebuild parts of the interior of their new Explorers.
I just wonder what, if anything, this does to affect your warranty.
Good luck in your endeavor

Peter

Why there is a thread on a shark fin antenna, i have it on mines and it looks great and did not have to dismantile anything.

I don't know if anyone on this Forum has removed the entire headliner. For some reason there seems to be a lot of this going around lately. By this I mean owners wanting to replace/rebuild parts of the interior of their new Explorers.

Peter

It's been my experience that tampering, modifying or the use of 3rd party kits and accessories does not bode well when discussing a warrantee claim of the products, electrical or in this case interior. Ie once a head liner comes loose after install, it's very tough to get it too stay over the long term. Jus sayin

Removing the Headliner

Has anyone had to remove the headliner yet? Easiest way, does and don'ts, any problems I may run into, those type of things. Do not point me in the direction of the modifiers guide as it's not in there, I want someone who has done it.

Has anyone had to remove the headliner yet? Easiest way, does and don'ts, any problems I may run into, those type of things. Do not point me in the direction of the modifiers guide as it's not in there, I want someone who has done it.
To my knowledge no member has removed the headliner. I think the headliners that were removed were all done by the dealer. Are you looking to do some wiring or something?

Peter

To my knowledge no member has removed the headliner. I think the headliners that were removed were all done by the dealer. Are you looking to do some wiring or something?

Peter
I have to add a couple antennas to the roof. I also hear the curtain airbags suck too. If I only had one I would have popped the light in the center and snaked it.

I have to add a couple antennas to the roof. I also hear the curtain airbags suck too. If I only had one I would have popped the light in the center and snaked it.
I added a VHF/UHF antenna to the roof of my previous Highlander using just a magmount and ran the cable through the back hatch.. Haven't bothered doing it with the Explorer. Good luck.

Peter

Hi, anyone know how to remove (and replace) the headliner in the new generation explorer?
Thanks in advance.

Remove all seats (easier for flexibilty of headliner) and Remove through back cargo hatch. Install in reverse order

Thanks in advance.

I'm bringing back this old thread in the hopes you've figured out how to remove the headliner. Any tips or advice?

Check for a radio shop in your area that outfits police vehicles. They may have a bunch in their shop that they might let you see. The tech's may even be able to give some suggestions as weel.

Peter

It's been my experience that tampering, modifying or the use of 3rd party kits and accessories does not bode well when discussing a warrantee claim of the products, electrical or in this case interior. Ie once a head liner comes loose after install, it's very tough to get it too stay over the long term. Jus sayin

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act protects the customer from a company denying a warranty. The provider of the warranty has to prove that the customer's actions caused an issue. The warranty act also allows a consumer to add aftermarket parts to the vehicle without voiding the warranty as a whole.

This act was written for the customers benefit and not for the warrantor.

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts

Even though that may be so, I can see where some of these warranty denials could possibly end up in court since Ford specifically states the following under What is Not Covered;

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of
Ford Motor Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or
with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not
limited to exhaust and intake systems)
• the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part or software
(other than a certified emissions part or software) or any part or
software (Ford or non-Ford) designed for off-road use only installed
after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the
installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail. Examples include, but
are not limited to lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones,
alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing
powertrain components or software and performance “chips”.

Peter

I mounted five antennas in my roof. I just removed the passenger side A & B pillar trim covers/Grab Handle, rubber molding around the door seals, and the sun visors. That allowed more than enough room to drop the headliner, drill holes, pull coax, and mount a ticket light. The center of the headliner is supported by magnets. Make sure to reattach them before you seal everything back up. Sometimes they come loose in the removal process. Once the headliner is loose you can plainly see the airbags attached to the edges. Just route your cabling around them.

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act protects the customer from a company denying a warranty. The provider of the warranty has to prove that the customer's actions caused an issue. The warranty act also allows a consumer to add aftermarket parts to the vehicle without voiding the warranty as a whole.

This act was written for the customers benefit and not for the warrantor.

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts

The MM Act is thrown around like it is the holy grail of protection. Do you know what the purpose of the MM Act really is for? It's not for modifications and adding 3rd party parts....

The MM Act is designed to protect consumers from being able to use 3rd party parts that MEET OEM specs. So last week, I had to replace an inner tie rod on my Camry. I didn't go to Toyota to buy it, I went to NAPA and got theirs. The MM Act protects me from Toyota saying that voids my warranty because it meets the same specs.

Now if I add a 4" lift to my F350, the MM Act does not protect me from Ford denying the part of my warranty for my steering as well as transmission/driveline because it puts the truck out of specs. If I want to use a NAPA direct replacement air filter, I can without worrying about that. Can I completely remove my whole air intake and put in an oiled intake and expect Ford to honor the warranty?? Absolutely not and the MM act does not protect you in that case.

People really need to stop throwing the MM Act around like it covers any mod you do. I see it on every forum and so many don't understand the purpose of this.

The MM Act is thrown around like it is the holy grail of protection. Do you know what the purpose of the MM Act really is for? It's not for modifications and adding 3rd party parts....

The MM Act is designed to protect consumers from being able to use 3rd party parts that MEET OEM specs. So last week, I had to replace an inner tie rod on my Camry. I didn't go to Toyota to buy it, I went to NAPA and got theirs. The MM Act protects me from Toyota saying that voids my warranty because it meets the same specs.

Now if I add a 4" lift to my F350, the MM Act does not protect me from Ford denying the part of my warranty for my steering as well as transmission/driveline because it puts the truck out of specs. If I want to use a NAPA direct replacement air filter, I can without worrying about that. Can I completely remove my whole air intake and put in an oiled intake and expect Ford to honor the warranty?? Absolutely not and the MM act does not protect you in that case.

People really need to stop throwing the MM Act around like it covers any mod you do. I see it on every forum and so many don't understand the purpose of this.

I really don't see anything different in your post than what I said.

"The warranty act also allows a consumer to add aftermarket parts to the vehicle without voiding the warranty as a whole. "

A simple mod can't void the whole bumper to bumper warranty.

If the OP removes the headliner, Ford cannot deny a claim for power seats not working.

However, they can deny a claim for a water leak if Ford shows that adding the aftermarket antenna caused the leak.

I mounted five antennas in my roof. I just removed the passenger side A & B pillar trim covers/Grab Handle, rubber molding around the door seals, and the sun visors. That allowed more than enough room to drop the headliner, drill holes, pull coax, and mount a ticket light. The center of the headliner is supported by magnets. Make sure to reattach them before you seal everything back up. Sometimes they come loose in the removal process. Once the headliner is loose you can plainly see the airbags attached to the edges. Just route your cabling around them.

That sounds very do-able. Thanks!!

Back