• Register Today It's free!

Removing rear speakers.

FHBasketball

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 SPORT
I have a '96 sport. I just bought new Dual XS683's 6x8 speakers, but can't get to the rear speakers. How do I remove the panel over them???? I used the search but couldn't come up with anything. Also, when I installed the front speakers, I busted all of the little white screw/clip things. How much do these things cost and do they sel them at autozone or something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FHBasketball said:
I have a '96 sport. I just bought new Dual XS683's 6x8 speakers, but can't get to the rear speakers. How do I remove the panel over them???? I used the search but couldn't come up with anything. Also, when I installed the front speakers, I busted all of the little white screw/clip things. How much do these things cost and do they sel them at autozone or something?

Take a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25999

Good luck .....

I already looked at that page.....

.....and it says how to remove the door panel. But I have a sport, and so it is only a two door. That page does not say how to remove the rear paneling that hides the speakers in a two door.

Sorry, I assumed the info would be in that post. I can offer no help here, never even been a Sport.

Good luck .... someone will help you.

No problem.....

.....I just don't want to pay the jerks at bestbuy $50 to do it again. They messed up the panels and the headunit on my '95 Contour SE. It had the premium sound with the speakers wired through the mini amp. They had to bipass the amp, and it messed the whole thing up. I did get my $50 bucks back though, just don't want to go through it all again.

Well, I uses a side cutters by slipping the jaws under the clips and kinda jimmied them out, it's not hard to do, plut it won't ruin the clips if you're careful.

I just took a chisel to the actual grill and just popped them out. I'm not sure if it is the same with the later model sports, but it should be. Just put the chisel on the top of the grill and push down and out. Then when you get it in there, just pull the grill out. Hope this helps.

I don't know if the '96 Sport is the same as the '98 Sport but those rear grill covers just need to be pushed on downwards from the top and they pop right out.

Back