• Register Today It's free!

Rental Coverage Question

dencan

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited
My 2011 explorer is at the dealer for the fan recall and there is something wrong with the transmission. I have the ESP which includes car rental so I have been using a rental for this time. The dealer called and said they need a part so I could come and get the car and they would call me when the part is in. It's a total hassle to deal with this every time I need to put the car in for repairs as it is not around the corner from my house and then I have to deal with the car rental place. I told them that since I have the rental car, I would just keep it and wait until the parts come in and they said no problem. Do you think that really means no problem since the car rental is on their dime? Also, the car rental place gave me a minivan when a small car is only covered. I just don't want any surprises. Anyone have any experience with this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a feeling you are going to pay something out of your pocket for this.

normally you get reimburse for the rental. if the dealer has the charge to them your fine, if its on your credit card, your going to have a bad day.

They only have my card to cover $150 of damages. They directly bill the dealer.

They only have my card to cover $150 of damages. They directly bill the dealer.
If it were me, I'd confirm who is paying for what with the dealer before keeping the rental. On the other hand, if you figure that by you paying the extra costs to avoid the hassle, then you can take the chance.

Peter

I've dealt with this for 5 years with my F250 and here is how it has always worked. Ford pays $30 for a rental per day up to 30 days. Anything beyond $30 per day is on your dime unless the dealer wants to cover it.

I've dealt with 3 different dealers, 1 has their own Ford fleet for rentals (uses their own cars) and charges the $30 a day, the other two have agreements with the rental companies to only charge about $27 and the other $3 covers the taxes so I pay nothing. It has always been the policy of the rental companies I use to give the next size up at no charge if they don't have a $30 car. I've received mid size cars, mid size suvs and full size suvs (grand cherokee) at no additional cost because they didn't have any compacts.

Hope this helps explain it..

And as far as parts on order, I always keep the rental.. I paid for the ESP so I've paid for the rental option and I'll use it when I want to.

Peter9 with all do respect do you have a life; you are always on this forum and always have a comment are you a lawyer lollollol !!!

Peter9 with all do respect do you have a life; you are always on this forum and always have a comment are you a lawyer lollollol !!!
Actually I have a very good life, so far. I'm retired and usually turn the computer on in the morning and it stays on until I go to bed.
All new posts on this 2011 -2013 Forum pop up in my email box so when I check my mail every few hours, when I'm home that is, the posts are all there to see. With the temps being in the 90's the last few weeks, I'm also spending more time inside where it's air conditioned.
Anyway, some one has to be here to help with all the questions!
I'm sure Cory is busy enough as it is. ;)

Good night.....going to bed now.

Peter

...Also, the car rental place gave me a minivan when a small car is only covered. I just don't want any surprises. Anyone have any experience with this?
I see you already got a few replies to this, dencan. My recommendation is to keep an open line of communication with your dealer so you don’t see any “surprises.” :)

then you should be fine.
...Hope this helps explain it...
waskly & blwnsmoke,

Thanks so much for lending a hand, guys!

The thought crosses my mind every once and a while too, NEWPORTNJ. ;)

...Anyway, some one has to be here to help with all the questions!
I'm sure Cory is busy enough as it is. ;)...
It’s funny because it’s true, Peter. :confused: All the good you do on the forum makes my job easier! :D

Cory

Just a side note, the newest Ford ESP rental plan only covers 10 days, per the Ford ESP website. Just something to keep in mind.
- Toddy

Just a side note, the newest Ford ESP rental plan only covers 10 days, per the Ford ESP website. Just something to keep in mind.
- Toddy

The enhanced rental is 10 days, $50 per day or you can choose the 30 day, $30 per day option

We don't have the ESP option on our lease, but we have had a rental car sitting in our driveway for about 25 days of the 15,000 miles we have put on our explorer and never been charged extras. Then again that is a 250$ a month car we drive and the 450$ a month truck sits at the dealer, no really fair.

Update - no issues with the car rental place. I had it for 6 days and the daily price dropped within the allowance. All is well - until next time!

Back