• Register Today It's free!

Used Explorer question

cgkendall

Reaction score
City, State
Fairview, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Freestyle
So I am in the market looking for a used 2012 to 2013 Ford Explorer limited down here in North Carolina. Just started my search this past week. After going through countless dealers inventory online and check the car faxes, I am noticing that every used Explorer they have at all the different dealers, they all at one time were rental vehicles and came from an auction!

I myself am not to particularly worried about that, but after thinking about it a little more, I thought I would check with the guys and gals that have the vehicles to see if anyone has ever purchased an Explorer that was a rental at one time and if they have had ok luck with it.

So would you guys hesitate to purchase a 2012 or 2013 Explorer that was once rental? The mileages are very similar on all of the vehicles also....between 25,000 to 35,000 miles.

Also how about the power train warranty from Ford. Is the 5 yrs or 60,000 mile warranty still covered from Ford on a vehicle that was once a rental?

Thanks for your insight!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just my opinion and a little story why I think this way.

Took a vacation to Arizona and rented a car. Drove all over including taking a "short cut" cut to Jerome. This short cut road turned into a dirt road, a very rutted dirt road (had to drive so slow to not fall into one of the deep ruts, the cattle would wander up and stick their wet dripping noses at us, it was a convertible) and then a very rocky narrow no turning around road. It was so rough the rear view mirror fell off. We shrugged and said, oh well it is just a rental. Got to a point on the road that a huge rock jutted up and the only way we could go was over it. As we slowly drove over it listening to it scrape and screech underneath we shrugged and said, "oh well, it is just a rental". Then we had to go through a more narrow part of the road that was an arch opening carved out of a rock. We were not sure we could fit through it and with the no turning around option we went through with the side mirrors slightly scrapping along the sides. The scrapes in the plastic were barely visible but there and we said, "oh well, it's a rental. This and knowing they don't do oil changes I say, Stay Away From Rentals!

Gosh...I sure hope you took out the additional insurance on that vehicle!!! I have found that when I am checking the Carfax, you can see that on most of the cars there are records of the services that were performed on them like oil changes etc. I know it is a risk and but the prices are very tempting!

Welcome to the Forum cgkendal.:wavey:
The first thing I would check into is to see if you can get the Ford ESP (warranty) on a vehicle that was once a rental. It is always difficult to say if rentals are a good buy or not. I would tend to think that most likely would be. Having said that, there are a few members here who have bought/leased new Explorers and have had all kinds of issues with them. Take your time and browse through the various threads in this forum to see what the main problems are. A few that come to mind are exhaust smell in the cabin, leaking roof, a smell from the A/C vents and power steering failure. Those threads are easy to spot since they have many pages. Also, keep in mind that a forum will usually attract owners that have problems. I had a 2011 Limited and it was an excellent vehicle. I'm looking forward to the redesigned 2016 as my next Explorer. Good luck.

Peter

I wouldn't worry about getting a rental, if it's ford certified then it's going to have a good warranty on it and have been inspected. There's should be a decent amount of 2012's coming off lease now, even some 2013's that were on a 2 yr lease. Just look around and when you find the right one for you, go for it!

I prefer to buy used off lease. Don't trust how people take care of rentals. There is a reason why they can be had for good prices.

With a leased car the owner has to maintain it in order to return it without a penalty. There are exceptions, but you can tell if a leased vehicle was taken care of, plus it is dealer maintained under warranty. You can confirm that from its Ford service history.

So I am in the market looking for a used 2012 to 2013 Ford Explorer limited down here in North Carolina. Just started my search this past week. After going through countless dealers inventory online and check the car faxes, I am noticing that every used Explorer they have at all the different dealers, they all at one time were rental vehicles and came from an auction!

I myself am not to particularly worried about that, but after thinking about it a little more, I thought I would check with the guys and gals that have the vehicles to see if anyone has ever purchased an Explorer that was a rental at one time and if they have had ok luck with it.

So would you guys hesitate to purchase a 2012 or 2013 Explorer that was once rental? The mileages are very similar on all of the vehicles also....between 25,000 to 35,000 miles.

Also how about the power train warranty from Ford. Is the 5 yrs or 60,000 mile warranty still covered from Ford on a vehicle that was once a rental?

Thanks for your insight!!

How do you know they were all rentals? You do know that all Ford lease turn-ins go to an auction, right? That's why they all have around the same mileage, 2-3 year leases.

I don't know about the U.S but in Canada, a vehicle that was a rental has to be listed that way. Also, not all lease returns here have to go to auction. The dealer can buy it. As I posted before, my dealer talked me out the final year on a 4 year lease on my 2011 Limited because my equity was quite high on it and they could make $$ on selling it as well as giving me a good deal on another vehicle. I believe they had a buyer because it sold within days. When my lease was up on the '06 Highlander, a friend of mine bought it from the Toyota dealer.

Peter

The vehicles with the Carfax will specify if it is a rental. The vehicles with the Autocheck link will only say it was a rental or lease, so can't really tell on those. Right now, I am going to look at a 2013 Limited with 37,000 miles at Carmax for $29,000 out the door! That price is crazy good for around here!!

As long as it is still covered by Fords 5yr/60,000 mile power train warranty, I will feel pretty safe with getting it.

Any more thoughts?

And Thanks to you all that have responded!!

I offered $29,500 to a local Ford dealer that has a 2013 Limited with 34,000 miles and it is a CPO vehicle, and he wouldn't even entertain my offer. The lowest he would come down is around $32,300. I even told him about the Explorer at Carmax and he still wouldn't budge. It has been on their lot for 2 months and since it is the end of the month, I thought he might at least counter offer my price. I guess business must be good for them right now.

With the steep discounts on the new 2014's, you might be better off just looking for a new one. Plus you get one that'll have it's best 30,000 miles ahead of it.

Dogs and cars are both best when you get to enjoy puppy year... :D

Looking around on the net this morning I found an 2014 Explorer base model with 4WD for $29,998...the price I am looking to pay for a 2013 Limited with 37,000 miles on it! I really like all of the goodies on the Limited, but that sure does seem like a great price for a brand new Explorer!!

Any opinions on this new information?

Even the dash is completely different on the base model...hardly any bells or whistles as all!

Looking around on the net this morning I found an 2014 Explorer base model with 4WD for $29,998...the price I am looking to pay for a 2013 Limited with 37,000 miles on it! I really like all of the goodies on the Limited, but that sure does seem like a great price for a brand new Explorer!!

Even the dash is completely different on the base model...hardly any bells or whistles as all!

It's all personal preference if you would rather have all the features of the Limited or are okay with a Base model. 37,000 miles really is not all that much. If the dealer gave you a good price on the Premium Care warranty I would go for the Limited. I like all the fancy features.

Just from a quality point of view the 2012 was still in the initial stages of production and development as the plant was still learning.

2013/14 the bugs were most worked out and the issues were minimal.

Stay 2013 or newer, make sure you familiarize yourself with all the applicable TSB's here and then check it over carefully.

I had a 2013 Limited and it had no issues other than MFT.

...I offered $29,500 to a local Ford dealer that has a 2013 Limited with 34,000 miles and it is a CPO vehicle, and he wouldn't even entertain my offer. The lowest he would come down is around $32,300. I even told him about the Explorer at Carmax and he still wouldn't budge. It has been on their lot for 2 months and since it is the end of the month, I thought he might at least counter offer my price. I guess business must be good for them right now.

Business is awesome for them. The Explorers are selling fast. I tried to get a 2014 Limited and they were being sold so fast the dealer couldn't get a transfer done soon enough or the dealers didn't want to make a trade. I gave up and ended up ordering a 2015. I get everything I want plus some and I am not paying much more than the best offer on a 2014.

I wouldn't buy a rental vehicle. I know what some people do to them.

I would, and have bought lease returns. I've had good luck with doing so.

Well, purchased my suv today. A brand new 2014 Honda Pilot 4WD!! I couldn't find any Ford dealers that were willing to deal but I did get an excellent deal on this Pilot...around $1500 under invoice!:D:D

I know it is not loaded with all the goodies like the Explorer...which I still love. But I feel that this car will last me a while.

I want to Thank you all for your hospitality while I was here!!;);)

This is cgkendall signing off! :salute:

Take care!

Thanks for stopping by. Best of luck with the new acquisition.:):thumbsup:

Peter

I actually bought my 13 limited from carmax in Texas. I saw the carfax and mine said the same thing as being a rental. I bought a it with 18000 miles on it and drove it to California. No issues and right now it has over 25000. It's not worth really buying something new for me because once you drive it off the lot, it depreciates about 2-3 thousand dollars.

Just for point of reference, there are different types of rental agreements out there. For many years the company I work for had a rental agreement with Avis, where we would rent the vehicles long term, generally 12 months. Depending on who was driving one of these vehicles, I may or may not buy one. We generally put 30,000 miles on them in that year, and some folks just didn't maintain them for that 30,000 knowing they would be turned back in and they would receive a new one.

So, I'd stay away from anything like that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back