Replaced front calipers, NOW brake light on 99 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced front calipers, NOW brake light on 99 Explorer

ajrn

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Okay--

I replaced the front calipers on my girlfriend's 99 Explorer.. I replaced the hoses as well.. New pads/rotors, you get what I'm saying..

Things came apart okay, went back together okay.. Used 'loaded' Morse rebuilt calipers-- Wagner hoses, Valvoline Syntec brake fluid.. I used 'speedbleeder' type check valve bleeders.. Spent my time, and bled till the fluid came BACK looking like it came in.. (The stuff there was pretty damn ugly-- and I'm wondering if this may be the "issue..")

Tires back on, pump the brakes a few times, to get the pads "close.." Start the engine-- the brake light doesn't go out..

The ABS light does the test cycle, then goes off.

The parking brake wasn't engaged-- the pads are gone anyway, I need to do that 'next....'

There's fluid in the reservoir.

The brakes ALL appear to be working.. Pedal 'feel' is normal, it's not hitting the floor. I didn't MASH it to the floor when I was bleeding it...

I found the bleeder valve on the master cylinder, bleed some MORE fluid out there..

Nope.. Nothing changed.. :shoot:

I was guessing it was either something that upset the Anti-lock system, or maybe I bumped the proportioning valve..

I took it out-- up to 40mph and did a few (3-4) hard stops..

You're guessing nothing changed, right?? Good-- bonus points for you.. :bounce:

Did that sludgey nasty brake fluid do something bad??

Any ideas on what to do next?? Again, there's no problems with stopping..

Sigh-- I'd just like to be done..

AJ RN

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm kinda confused on what your problem is.
Is it that your brake light doesn't turn off?
If so try resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery for a good 30 mins should remove the code

check fluid in master cylinder

x2

The brake warning light on the dash won't go out..

I didn't think there was anything ECM controlled in that system, with exception of the ABS pump/sensors..

aj rn

my guess is your brake fluid level switch is "fubarred"

As mentioned-- the fluid level is fine.. While I don't think there is any communication between the primary (non-abs) braking and any of the computers, I did disconnect the battery yesterday (ALL DAY), leaving the ignition switch on for several hours.. Reconnecting it changed nothing.

The fluid level itself is not an issue..

I took it around the block, 40 to zero panic stopped it 4 times. No issues-- straight stops, decent distance...

budwich-- you mentioned the fluid level sensor.. Is there a way to test that?? Is the switch normally open/closed-- is just checking for continuity going to get me anywhere??

I don't like driving a vehicle with idiot lights on-- they do serve a purpose, even if it's to late to be of much value.. :roll:

Let me know if anyone else has thoughts.. I'm going to order the emergency brake pads today.. I guess not having a WORKING brake warning light, has made fixing those a priority.. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

the switch throws a ground (of course) causing the light to light... should be easy to test for

Well---

It went out today.. So It's now a done deal........

BTW-- while I'm on the subject, where's a good place to get the caliper mounting bolts??

AJ RN

Back