• Register Today It's free!

spongy brakes

dmac0923

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger xlt
i did a 4 wheel brake job on my 2001 Sport 4x4. new pads, resurfaced all 4 rotors.
the drivers rear caliper was seized and was replaced

i figured since the new caliper was empty and opening the system would introduce alot of air into the system and i know spongey brakes are cause by air in the system or damaged/flexing rubber hoses.

ive bleed the entire system properly (starting from PR to DR to PF to PD) until im blue in the face. ive got no air and clean brand new fluid coming from all 4 bleeders.

i have a nice high firm pedal when the vehicle is OFF. with my foot on the brake and starting the vehicle, the pedal goes right to the floor and the car wants to stall and sometimes does

ive even tried bleeding the master cylinder.

any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have good pedal with it off, and it goes to the floor when running, and it's been bled, then I would suspect the master cyclinder or booster.

I dont think the master cylinder would be the problem, thats if you pedel dont go down slowly when the truck it off, and when its on..

But if I remember to, I'll as my boss about it....Not for you, but I want to know also, lol

i did a 4 wheel brake job on my 2001 Sport 4x4. new pads, resurfaced all 4 rotors.
the drivers rear caliper was seized and was replaced

i figured since the new caliper was empty and opening the system would introduce alot of air into the system and i know spongey brakes are cause by air in the system or damaged/flexing rubber hoses.

ive bleed the entire system properly (starting from PR to DR to PF to PD) until im blue in the face. ive got no air and clean brand new fluid coming from all 4 bleeders.

i have a nice high firm pedal when the vehicle is OFF. with my foot on the brake and starting the vehicle, the pedal goes right to the floor and the car wants to stall and sometimes does

ive even tried bleeding the master cylinder.

any ideas?

Did you bleed the brakes with the truck running or off?

i bled the brakes with the truck running, cant seem to get a pedal when its running.

when the truck is off, the pedal is nice and high/Firm and doesnt seep down.

i checked the obvious with the power booster: the rubber vaccuum hose is still attached and in good shape, no cracks

Back