Replaced rear main seal, leaking again, replaced again, now leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced rear main seal, leaking again, replaced again, now leaking

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited 2wd
Hello fellow Explorers. I am reaching out as I'm quite possibly about to lose my mind!

I have an 02 Explorer 4.0 Limited 2wd @ 101k.

A slight oil leak appeared and it was determined it was the rear main seal. While it was apart I went ahead and had the the upper/lower oil pan gasket replaced as well. Everything was cleaned, put back together and within a week, the leak reappeared.

I returned to the shop and they discovered the rear main seal was improperly installed. They got a new motorcraft part from the dealer, reinstalled the new rear main seal and buttoned everything back up.

Two weeks later and approximately 50-100 miles, I notice that it is leaking yet again from the bellhousing area.

The rear main seal was installed properly (I verified) and the oil pan was dry as a desert. The shop advised to bring it back and they will most certainly make it right. They have indicated it may possibly be an upper cam seal.

Please refresh my memory, but I do not recall anything else accessible without removing the dreaded rear cover of the motor. I seriously doubt that it can be a third rear main seal again.

Could anyone provide any opinions?

Also, I have attached a few photographs of the bottom of the engine as well as looking in the oil pan. A lifetime of Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum has served this little motor VERY well.

CB04jPl.png

lHUSDEO.png

qAUJmQ5.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has it been determined that the leak does not originate from farther up, higher, possibly rear of valve covers, or intake? imp

Has it been determined that the leak does not originate from farther up, higher, possibly rear of valve covers, or intake? imp

I verified myself it is all dry as a desert.

The valve covers were replaced and new gaskets installed about 10k ago as they were leaking near the front of the vehicle.

Are there any cam seals or is that all behind the rear cover?

I verified myself it is all dry as a desert.

The valve covers were replaced and new gaskets installed about 10k ago as they were leaking near the front of the vehicle.

Are there any cam seals or is that all behind the rear cover?
@TheExplorerGuy
This I dunno. Expect rotary shaft seals, no. Gasketed cover, likely. Anyone?? imp

I'm going to say they didn't clean all the old oil pan gasket out of the 2 holes next to the rear man cap. If you don't get everything out the new gasket will split when tightening the upper pan. I had it happen one time to me. Does it seem to leak more with the front end of the truck up hill?

Is there any way to get the motor started without the transmission in it? We were either thinking of possibly doing:
1. A manual transmission bellhousing from a Ford Ranger bolted to engine just to get the motor started and allow an inspection hole in the transmission so we can see where the leak is coming from.

2. Somehow attach a belt on the front crank/harmonic balancer and use a PTO off of a tractor to turn the engine over quick enough until it starts. Sounds dangerous/risky.

There's real no way to determine where the leak is coming from even if we put dye in the oil -- the flywheel will simply sling it all over the place.

I am doubtful it is the oil pan. It's either the rear main or rear cover -- I don't believe anything else is back there?

All you have back there is the cap for the bolt on rear cassette, the rear seal, the cradle gasket and outside the bell housing the back of the valve covers. If its engine oil it has to be one of those.

Can i drop the upper / lower oil pans without pulling the transmission? It's a 2wd....

Back