Replaced your torsion bars? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced your torsion bars?

Hey,
I used a Jack to release the tension also. It was kinda tricky. I have the front end sitting on jackstands (via the crossmember)... then on the torsion bar adjuster there is a small dimple.. I put a 1" thick pipe and balanced it on top of my jack and jacked it up right on top of that dimple. Its defiantly not the proper way to do it and prob. isnt the Safest way either but, just be careful and you should be fine..

kendal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I will have a look at it when I get home. I am definately not going to risk killing myself though if it is an easier,but unsafe way of doing it.

Hoppy

you can rent the 2-3 arm puller from Autozone for free. you pay about $30 as a deposit, return it and get your deposit back. there is no way i would ever recommend using a piece of pipe on a floor jack like that. the puller is faster, easier, safer, and free to boot.

Just replaced mine today at 110,x.. miles - what a difference!!!! Before, there were clanks over almost every surface, and the truck rode very harsh. Both passenger and driver side adjusters were completely worn to the metal.

The job took about 1.5 hours, I used a two jaw puller from Autozone. The puller was easy and safe, couldn't have done it any other way. I purchased the adjusters from FPN.

I used whiteout on the t-bar adjuster bolts, I'm not ready for an alignment yet. Seemed to work pretty well.

UPDATE:

Even after replacing the torsion bar adjuster bolts to their original thread counts, the truck was a good 3/4" higher than before. It stands to reason that the 3/8" increase the the torsion bar adjuster from the kevlar offset the lift. I had measured the height from the ground to the center of the wheel well, and reset the ride hight to this original position. I should probubly get it re-aligned anyways.

Update #2
After about 6 months, 5000 miles, and some 4wheeling, the "new" adjusters are shot. Another $60 into the truck... Oh well, I can swap them out in less than 30min per side now :rolleyes:

That is exactly the same noise/feeling my truck has. Mine has been doing it since 20,000 miles though. I've searched all over the front end for the source of the clunk, but found nothing loose. Glad I noticed this thread, now I know where it's probably coming from.
Have to check it tonight.

Do you guys know if there are aftermarket ones out there? I would hate to do the job and get the stuff from Ford to find that TRW or MOOG sells a better quality set of adjusters.

Hoppy

I actully found that the noise you guys are talking about came from y front sway bar mounting bushings, and to a lesser degree the links.

I Just called my local Ford stealership they wanted 38.57 for each one. And they have to order them. I need to check online any ideas. Apparently the price has gone up since Robert did them at $23.12 a piece.

Hey I just saw a link at the top of the page for Ford parts network. I will check them out. Maybe support our local sponsor

TORSION BAR ADJUSTER, Explorer, Mountaineer - TORSION BAR - 4WD 95-97 $29.67 list $24.63 Through Ford Parts Network I am ordering from them today! find their link from this site so we(the site) get credit.

Now I am MAD. They (local stealership) are an even 30% above suggested retail price. In all reality though I will smile as I drive by them as they have lost a customer.

adjuster prices

$43.00 at FPN as of 01/08/04 for 1998 year:mad:

Very interesting! they must be like gold. I just went there and the price went up to 44.36 for the 98+ years.
95-97 went to 25.85

How are the 98+ different? Are the improved? Revised? Can I use them? Mine wear through like crazy... Within 2 weeks and 500 miles I'm hearing clunking when the suspension flexes hard. this is insane!!!

When I took out one of my torsion bars, there wasn't a kevlar patch. It had a blue-green hard rubbery type thing above the adjuster, but it wasn't part of the adjuster. It had grooves for the adjuster to fit into. It went into an enclosure that held it in place.

I'm not sure if you can use it, try to take a picture of the stuff above that kevlar patch.

Above the kevlar patch is a metal bracket that is a smooth, almost "mold-like" impression of the semi-circle top of the adjuster as shown here:

1342212-26-03-replacement_kevlar.jpg

Picture shows new and worn adjuster

Can you post a picture of you adjusters please? Also, how do you find the durability of them?

now, my question is, if it is made out of some kind of rubbery stuff, why would they use that on a part that will constandly be subjected to rubbing?

Hello, so i installed the adjuster the other day, wasn't too difficult, only it was hard to get the gear puller at right angle, AND, my adjuster, when lined up in the 'seat' thing that the 98+ have, isn't aligned, it needs to be moved closer to the wheel, but the seat thingy has that indent which keeps in it place...so i need ot realign the seat i think?

Anyone encounter this?

Has anyone ran across an aftermarket adjuster or are they still only available from FORD?

I am having the front end clunks in my 97' Exploder that everyone else around here is having and am pretty sure the torsion bar adjusters need to be replaced. After reviewing my Chilton's and Haynes manuals and reading these threads, I am still a little confused on the exact procedure to replace the adjusters. Is step one: Release tension from the torsion bar? and then step 2 : Use gear puller to remove the adjuster?? Is this a job that is easier once I get under the truck and start looking at the job?? I do lots of engine work but seldom monkey around with the suspension, any additional helpful tips (specifically the torsion bar tension issue) would be appreciated. THANKS in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its alot easier to visualize looking at it. All you do is pull the adjuster bolts out, remove the "covers", and then use the puller on the key.

Back