Replacement alternator amperages

Troy H

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia Gorge, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hi all,

I'm suspecting that my 130 amp alternator is failing - voltage meter drops to about 1/3 for long periods of time, occasionally bumps up, and my battery light comes on (my battery is less than 6 mos old).

I saw a page at The Ranger Station that says:
"1992-2005 Ford Ranger owners now have the option of a 130, 170, 200 and 250 amp alternator from Motor City Reman. Click HERE for more."

Ultimately I plan to add a second accessory battery to my system that might make having a larger alternator nice, but that may be six months or more out. In the meantime, without that extra load... well.. is there such thing as having TOO MUCH alternator? Can a 200 amp alternator cause problems in a mostly stock vehicle?

Thanks

So, from more reading, the higher amp alternators only state the max capability of the alternator, so a bigger alternator would only be an advantage when drawing higher current loads and would never be a disadvantage under normal use.

Thinking maybe the 170 would be fine, even with the addition of a second battery.

Is this alternator a good choice? Anyone have experience with this brand?

Then again.... Just found this:
"Optima /AMG batteries will toast your HIGH AMP alternator in short order. The glass mat type batteries will not accept amps at a high rate, and if your running a 130+ amp alternator,,, it internally shorts with no where for the amperage to go."

Ultimately, it turned out that the alternator wasn't going to wait for me to mail order one. Pulled into a parts store and dropped in a straight replacement. Oh well. When I get the second battery wired, I'll reconsider alternators then.

Back