Replacement stereo with factory DVD? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement stereo with factory DVD?

d73805

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
I'm looking to replace the stereo in my 05 Explorer. I currently have the Audiophile system with the rear DVD player. I was told by Crutchfield that there are no aftermarket stereos that work with the factory DVD system. Can anyone confirm that or give me some suggestions?
My problem with the existing stereo is that the CD player/changer stopped working. I could send it out for repair, but it would be nice to have some of the features of a new unit.
I've never actually used the DVD player, but being that it is there, my brain wants it to work.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive been wondering the same thing. I think the dvd player/screen should be self contained. Except for speaker wiring/ power. So i wonder if you could use the power and ground from the head unit /ignition to get it power then whoevers using it could just use headphones.

There are two wires marked in the diagram as "Audio Corporate Protocol A and B" I have no idea what this means or how to jump/bypass them. I'm going to try powering the DVD player without these two wires and see if I get anything from the speaker wires, but I don't have high hopes.

There are two wires marked in the diagram as "Audio Corporate Protocol A and B" I have no idea what this means or how to jump/bypass them. I'm going to try powering the DVD player without these two wires and see if I get anything from the speaker wires, but I don't have high hopes.

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

I could never get the DVD to work.

Hmm.. I was just researching the wire noted as ASYSON (Audio System On.) This wire is supposed to be switched, could use the same switched wire for the stereo. It's separate from the power and ground wire to the DVD player. The ASYSON wire tells the DVD player to "wake up."
Don't know where you left off, but I won't be able to check this until the weekend. Don't know if you messed with this wire.

http://m.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495428&styleid=20

So did it work? I still havent fixed mine yet.

We'll, the individuals I've communicated with have only been getting the DVD player to play DVDs from their head units via the DVD player inputs. I've still to actually mess with mine. I was going to try and loop the two Can Bus lines (protocol A and B) and see if that did anything.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3x8hMCfIXo0

I've tried talking to this guy, because it appears in his video that the DVD player still functions.

Back