• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket stereo?

DanielJ

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer V6.
I was told since i have the DVD station in my Ex that if im to switch to a aftermarket stereo that it wont work though the speakers anymore and that i wont be able to use the amp and sub with a aftermarket one. Is this true? Havent found anything to disprove it, or say its true. Anyone have the dvd station and a after market? I want to add the NAV/CD/AUX aftermarket stereo set up. The fancy touch screen style.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was told since i have the DVD station in my Ex that if im to switch to a aftermarket stereo that it wont work though the speakers anymore and that i wont be able to use the amp and sub with a aftermarket one. Is this true? Havent found anything to disprove it, or say its true. Anyone have the dvd station and a after market? I want to add the NAV/CD/AUX aftermarket stereo set up. The fancy touch screen style.

the amp and sub will work with the appropriate wiring harnesses. the dvd will not work bc it is wired into the radio. my moms 05 freestyle has the rear entertainment and the same issue with upgrading the stereo

Who the :censored:told you that? And I'm being serious, I really want to know who told you that so i can smack them.

You only need two harnesses, the one for power, ground speakers, ect. And the one for the amp and sub woofer and your set, but also make a run to radio shack and get a 12V to 5V converter (like $1).

Why you ask? Because the stock radio outputs 5V. The new one will be 12V and will send too much power to the amp and you will get a loud ass pop from the amp every time you turn the truck on.

pRS1C-2160509_rshalt1_dt.jpg

lol a few people told me that actually. Thanks for the input though! All i will need is the two harness and the converter.. Can i get the harness at radioshack as well or do i need to go to a audio store

lol a few people told me that actually. Thanks for the input though! All i will need is the two harness and the converter.. Can i get the harness at radioshack as well or do i need to go to a audio store

The stereo you choose should come with the harnesses.

What are you getting and where from?

Im not to sure yet. Im trying to find one thats got the NAV system integrated into it. So far they've all been like 600. Not sure many good sites to find them so i just used google.

That's the price you are going to be looking at, most dont have it integrated, you have to buy the separate module.

Go to Crutchfield or Sonic Electronics

Im not to sure yet. Im trying to find one thats got the NAV system integrated into it. So far they've all been like 600. Not sure many good sites to find them so i just used google.

well whats your budget?

Nice! Found some on Sonic for less than 300!

400 was about my max.

I ordered from crutchfield, if you buy from them you get the dash kit (if needed) and the wiring harness that works with the factory sub (the 2 piece harness) all for free, i needed both and it was like 20 for dash kit and 15 for the harness with factory sub option and it was all free because i ordered from them and their prices are decent :chug:

I ordered from crutchfield, if you buy from them you get the dash kit (if needed) and the wiring harness that works with the factory sub (the 2 piece harness) all for free, i needed both and it was like 20 for dash kit and 15 for the harness with factory sub option and it was all free because i ordered from them and their prices are decent :chug:

Thanks...glad you showed up because no one said that yet!

Oh wait...I did
Who the :censored:told you that? And I'm being serious, I really want to know who told you that so i can smack them.

You only need two harnesses, the one for power, ground speakers, ect. And the one for the amp and sub woofer and your set, but also make a run to radio shack and get a 12V to 5V converter (like $1).

Why you ask? Because the stock radio outputs 5V. The new one will be 12V and will send too much power to the amp and you will get a loud ass pop from the amp every time you turn the truck on.

you're very welcome

as great as crutchfield may be, their prices arent lol. local dealers usually can give you far better pricing than crutchfield can.

with that being said however, their free 2 day shipping, amazing customer support, and as you mentioned free dash kit and harnesses, can make a radio purchase worth it.

as great as crutchfield may be, their prices arent lol. local dealers usually can give you far better pricing than crutchfield can.

with that being said however, their free 2 day shipping, amazing customer support, and as you mentioned free dash kit and harnesses, can make a radio purchase worth it.

:chug:

X2 for sure

Back