Replacing a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

chris8428

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Morning All,

In the next few days I am replacing the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor on my 2005 Ford Explorer. After reading some threads here and watching a Youtube video I understand it is under the intake manifold, which is secured by torx T-20 screws/bolts. My question is when I replace the intake manifold is there a torque spec for the screws/bolts? And while we are at it are they screws or bolts?

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is definitely a torque spec and just as important a sequence. You should also replace those gaskets. My manual only cover 96 - 01. I would suggest a SM. Maybe somebody with the right year manual will chime in.

There is definitely a torque spec and just as important a sequence. You should also replace those gaskets. My manual only cover 96 - 01. I would suggest a SM. Maybe somebody with the right year manual will chime in.
Yes, I have gaskets on order as well.

As I continue to read on this topic I have found this web page which list the torque specs for the intake manifold of a 2005 V6 as 12 ft-lbs.

This thread list the spec as 98 in-lbs of 10 Nm for a 2002 V6. This would be the equivalent of about 8 ft-lbs.

I have gone through more related threads but did not find anything more concrete.

Haynes says 89 in-lb or 10 Nm which seems to be about 7 1/2 ft lb. This is for the 4L V6

Haynes says 89 in-lb or 10 Nm which seems to be about 7 1/2 ft lb. This is for the 4L V6
Thank you. I also came across this Youtube video. The spec given in the video is 89 in-lb as well. As for the sequence in tightening the bolts it says at about minute 16 to work from the center to the forward aspect and then the rear. When I am done I will report back and let everyone know if I encountered any problems.

So I am happy to report this job is done with no major issues. The video linked above is a big help, although the component layout is for an earlier year Explorer. The 2005 does not have the cables and some vent tubes from the intake manifold are in slightly different places. Two tips I would offer are the inside 10mm bolt on the EGR valve is easiest to take off with a long handle 3/8 inch drive ratchet with a swivel head. And the torx 30 bolt at the back of the intake manifold is a little tough to find as you cannot see it but with a fair amount of patience can be found.

Here is a pic of where the sensor is located when the intake is removed.

InkedSensor.jpg

Back