Replacing Leaf Springs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Leaf Springs?

m4dioses

Reaction score
Replacing Leaf springs seems like an easy enough task, my question is ordering them..

What all needs to be ordered with a leaf spring? What's a "good" enough leaf spring? (No towing, but often a full car of kids + gear (strollers, camping gear, luggage, all of the above)..

We have a 1996 Explorer XLT and currently it has a bit of a 'saggy' ride even with NO luggage or passengers in the back... with a full second row and some cargo it's a bit saggier.. :p

What's confusing me, for instance is this - (from RockAuto.com)

HUSKY SPRING Part # FLS209 More Info {Sold individually}
Rear; 3/1 = 4 Leaf, 1 7/8" Pack Thickness, 1250lb Per Spring Rating

Obviously I need at least two, one for each side.. do I need more than that?

When it says 1250lb per spring rating.. does that mean per Leaf? i.e: since it's a 4Leaf bar does that mean it's capable of 2.5 ton per side suspension?

Just need a little guidance.. changing them seems pretty easy, ordering them confuses the **** out of me.

Thanks in advance!

Also, I'm not sold on RockAuto, so if there's a better spring/price somewhere - let me know please!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That rating is for the entire spring, 1150 is the stock spring rating from what I've seen. Rockauto is a good place to buy from, their customer service is pretty good, and there is usually a 5% or 10% discount that's posted here on the forum, and a lot of other car forums. OME also makes replacement springs, and I know a few people have been happy with those. On the cheaper side of things you could also try adding an add-a-leaf on each side, that should fix your sagging problems unless they're really bad.

Hey thanks for the reply tm33, I appreciate it!

I'm going to search for the discount code to use, because I'll be ordering a lot from them..

Springs, Spring Shackles, Shocks, Wires and Plugs.

I'll probably order the little stuff from there too depending on shipping, Oil Filter, Air Filter, PCV Valve, etc.

Getting ready for a 3,500 mile road trip.. want to get all of the stuff that's "been awhile" out of the way!

I don't think add-a-leaf will be the way to go for me, the springs aren't rotted but they're severely rusted and in some spots are even missing what looks like chunks of the metal.

Besides the Leaf Spring Shackles(they look like they're rotting), is there any other equipment I should replace in my situation that's related to the suspension and relatively inexpensive?? The whole underbody has the 'north east effect'.

Thanks again!

Im going through the same problem right now. The cheapest place for leaf springs ive found so far is lmctruck.com. They have them for $99 a side plus 20 or so shipping.

As for shackles, thats personal preference. I definitely would not recommend the copper heads. Lift or no lift, look for what you like. I did a video review of the copper head lift shackles in the link in my signature.

Bushings is the problem I am having. I ordered some off ebay and they wouldn't fit. Heres the link of all the problems with that.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243514

Installation is always the easy part for me. The hard part is getting all the stuff needed.

Call a local spring shop- I'm getting a set of new leafs and stuff for Snowball, and I can get both sides, shackles, all of the ubolts and bushings, hardware, etc for $240 out the door, and it's not from the mail. Any issues I can take them to the shop and they'll fix it. Worth a look. Local shops are hungry right now, they'll work with you...

rear springs

I bought the 3+1 spring from lmctruck.com. At 99.00, they're not a bargin. I wasn't happy with these at all. The stock springs I took off were stiffer. The lmc springs lowered the rear ride height 1/4" over stock. Not the direction I was wanting to go.
I would look in this direction.

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/products/Ford_Light_Duty_Replacement_Leaf_Spring-1281-37.html

(91-01) Ford Explorer, Rear
43-967 2-1/2(W)X25-11/16(S.E.)X30-5/16(L.E.) 3/1 Lvs 3/360 1/590 1,250 Lbs Capacity
Price: $119.64
Product ID: 43-967

43-967HD 2-1/2(W)X25-11/16(S.E.)X30-5/16(L.E.) 4/1 Lvs 4/360 1/590 1,700 Lbs Capacity
Price: $149.64
Product ID: 43-967HD

I bought the 3+1 spring from lmctruck.com. At 99.00, they're not a bargin. I wasn't happy with these at all. The stock springs I took off were stiffer. The lmc springs lowered the rear ride height 1/4" over stock. Not the direction I was wanting to go.
I would look in this direction.

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/products/Ford_Light_Duty_Replacement_Leaf_Spring-1281-37.html

(91-01) Ford Explorer, Rear
43-967 2-1/2(W)X25-11/16(S.E.)X30-5/16(L.E.) 3/1 Lvs 3/360 1/590 1,250 Lbs Capacity
Price: $119.64
Product ID: 43-967

43-967HD 2-1/2(W)X25-11/16(S.E.)X30-5/16(L.E.) 4/1 Lvs 4/360 1/590 1,700 Lbs Capacity
Price: $149.64
Product ID: 43-967HD

Thanks for sharing. Looks like they will have everything I need! Awesome!

In case anyone's interested.....

Here's a current discount code (5% off) for Rock Auto,
good until 11-29-09.

Does the ride get softer as the leaf springs get saggier? One of my mild complaints about my X is its firm ride. I don't take it off-road so I don't need a stiff suspension.

Several choices for 95+ Explorer rear springs

The leaf spring part numbers seem to be an industry standard across suppliers. The spring rates are as follows:

spring code.......part........rate........arc
L ..............43-1183 .... 1131 lb .... 4.5" ... (monoleaf) (hard to find)
F, H ...........43-1159 .... 1100 lb .... 6.5" ... (3+1 leaves) (common)
U, V, W ........43- 967 .... 1250 lb .... 4.6" ... (3+1 leaves) (common)
H (obsolete) ...43-1161 ..... 877 lb .... 6.8" ... (3+1 leaves) (Husky special order)
V (obsolete) ...43- 969 .... 1175 lb .... 5.3" ... (2+1 leaves) (Husky special order)
W (obsolete) ...43- 971 .... 1100 lb .... 5.8" ... (2+1 leaves) (Husky special order)

http://www.huskyspring.com/Explorer-Rear-Leaf-Springs-1991-2001_c_975.html has most details
http://www.generalspringkc.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=72&pg=1
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7705 lowest price

Does the ride get softer as the leaf springs get saggier?

On a 3+1 leaf system, the first leaf takes the load of the unloaded rear and provides a softer ride.
My theory:
In time, that leaf gives and at some point, because of the sag, the second one starts to provide the support for the car. At that point, the ride becomes stiffer, because the second leaf is usually rated for extra weight (it's thicker), plus you have partially the first one still providing some support.

The leaf spring part numbers seem to be an industry standard across suppliers. The spring rates are as follows:

spring code.......part........rate........arc
L ..............43-1183 .... 1131 lb .... 4.5" ... (monoleaf) (hard to find)
F, H ...........43-1159 .... 1100 lb .... 6.5" ... (3+1 leaves) (common)
U, V, W ........43- 967 .... 1250 lb .... 4.6" ... (3+1 leaves) (common)
H (obsolete) ...43-1161 ..... 877 lb .... 6.8" ... (3+1 leaves) (Husky special order)
V (obsolete) ...43- 969 .... 1175 lb .... 5.3" ... (2+1 leaves) (Husky special order)
W (obsolete) ...43- 971 .... 1100 lb .... 5.8" ... (2+1 leaves) (Husky special order)

http://www.huskyspring.com/Explorer-Rear-Leaf-Springs-1991-2001_c_975.html has most details
http://www.generalspringkc.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=72&pg=1
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7705 lowest price

Not quite sure how to read this...
Does the F and H models sit raise the rear more with it's 6.5" arch compared to the U,V & W models and their 4.6" arch?
Do the F & H also ride better better due to an 1100 lb rating comared to the 1250 lb rating of the U,V,W's ???

i did this to mine,

311379_10150923849560165_713775164_21598941_1238143501_n.jpg

but i put some other pieces on the crossmember as it was not made to hold up the back,,

Corkey, i was looking at picking up some for my x as well. Any extra lift? Ride quality? How did you reinforce the crossmember?

It did take the sag out of the back a bit, my springs were really bad,, i carry lots of tools back there, i am about 1 inch over stock easily,,
Ride quality is about the same, but with less body roll, tightened it up quite a bit, ,

i reinforced the cross member by bolting some square tubing on the sides to make it a bit stiffer, although having compound bends in a kind of box was pretty stiff ,,

I'm thinkin at a fraction of the cost of new leafs some extra load shocks should do me right. My sport doesn't haul ass but it hauls everything else from tools to diapers:)

Not quite sure how to read this...
Does the F and H models sit raise the rear more with it's 6.5" arch compared to the U,V & W models and their 4.6" arch?

Yep, it is starting that much higher and will compress the same for a given weight (since the spring rates are the same). This is what I am doing on my 95 Sport; springs are on order.

Do the F & H also ride better better due to an 1100 lb rating comared to the 1250 lb rating of the U,V,W's ???

"ride better" is subjective. I am not sure I would particularly notice 10% in rate. I am thinking it was important to Ford to dial in the original combination of springs, shocks, ride height, and "feel" for target customer.

I have a old tired Sport, aftermarket (Monroe Sensetrac) shocks and notice the rear (with original Monoleafs) sags a lot when I hitch up my 2000 lb camping trailer. I'm swapping to F/H springs to get clearance for upcoming 32" tires and hoping for less sag with the trailer. If the ride is only "not bad", I'll be happy.

The F model has a bigger "travel" for the same "bump impulse", due to bigger arch. That means smaller "g" forces at bumps (of course provided that the shocks are good too).

Translates in more comfort.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back