• Register Today It's free!

Replacing timing belt

james3302

Reaction score
City, State
Calhoun, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport
I have 171,000 miles on my explorer and have not replaced the timing belt yet. I am wanting to change this myself to save some money. I have timed 4 stroke four wheelers before, I know about making sure the #1 piston is at TDC on compression stroke. #1 piston being the first piston on the right side. What should I watch out for? I understand that if I do not time it exactly right that I will have to buy a new timing belt and I cannot reuse the old one since it had been stretched.

If you are talking about your 95 Explorer forget it. No timing belt on the X. Just 2 timing chains on the V6. As far as I know I have not heard of people having problems breaking or throwing these chains. So the good news is that you have more free time on your hands now :).

mikeh

mikeh said:
If you are talking about your 95 Explorer forget it. No timing belt on the X. Just 2 timing chains on the V6. As far as I know I have not heard of people having problems breaking or throwing these chains. So the good news is that you have more free time on your hands now :).

mikeh

Actually, the '95 4.0 is still an OHV, so it only has one timing chain (the OHC has two), but either way, you don't need to worry about changing it.

Back