Reset oil percentage deal...? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reset oil percentage deal...?

Randys1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer
I had my local guy change the oil, not ford, and I cant reset the percentage to 100 on the oil reading, pushed buttons etc, cant do it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my local guy change the oil, not ford, and I cant reset the percentage to 100 on the oil reading, pushed buttons etc, cant do it

With the left side LCD screen, display the oil life %, and the hold the "OK"
button a few seconds until it clears and resets to 100%.

Go to:

Vehicle
Vehicle settings
Oil life
Select 100%

All left side LCD screen

Go to:

Vehicle
Vehicle settings
Oil life
Select 100%

All left side LCD screen

yeah but you cant reset it, when you have the percentage info highlited and you hit ok, it moves the highlite to the next item on the list and will not reset

yeah but you cant reset it, when you have the percentage info highlited and you hit ok, it moves the highlite to the next item on the list and will not reset

that is strange, mine does work. Last oil change the dealer forgot to reset the oil life indicator so I did it on my own.

that is strange, mine does work. Last oil change the dealer forgot to reset the oil life indicator so I did it on my own.

so when the highlite is on the percentage and you hit the ok button the high lite doesnt instantly move down to the next item?

OK now i see, it is an entirely different part of the menu, where you can choose 100. 90 etc

got it now, but is confusing

I have 2400 miles on my Explorer and my oil says 80%....is that possible? I'd never go more than a hundred or so miles on the first oil change, but what is the expected range?

I have 2400 miles on my Explorer and my oil says 80%....is that possible? I'd never go more than a hundred or so miles on the first oil change, but what is the expected range?

It depends on your driving. The computer calculates how much idle time you get and how much highway you're getting. It takes many things into account. If you drive more highway, your oil will last longer.

The operator's manual says about 16,000 km between oil changes in normal driving conditions. Very easy to reset oil life takes less than a minute, Bill#4 Explorer explains the way do it, perfectly.

Explorer Tuxedo Black V6 XLT with tow and back-up camera, 11,000 KM

A good synthetic oil in a modern vehicle, for the average driver is good for 10K mile change intervals. Also, don't waste the factory fill by changing it early....old wives tale.....

Thinking of changing to synthetic at 5 k is that too early?

Thinking of changing to synthetic at 5 k is that too early?

No. Another old wives tale about break in. Many cars come with a synthetic factory fill. It's never too early.

In all my new vehicles, I alway do an early oil change at about the 1,000 miles mark.

I did so with the new Limited. Also changed to full synthetic oil. I plan to change every 7-8,000 miles. Based on the oil life indicator, I could go 10,000 miles. I just had my 4th oil change done last week. Right about 23,000 total miles right now.

Back