right sized floor jack for my 2002 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

right sized floor jack for my 2002 explorer

LMHmedchem

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT v8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently scored a 3 ton jack and stands for my 2nd gen and it works like a charm.

I have a 2-1/2 ton jack that worked well for my Trans-Am, but didn't like Explorers at all. I got a Craftsman 3 ton jack and I'm pretty happy with it.

Bought the identical Craftsman 2 1/4 ton jack without stands for my ST @ 4300 lbs.
Definitely strains to lift the front wheels off the ground. I would say 3 ton minimum.
Should you decide, looks like the better deal was last month. Good luck and be safe.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...srW4BA&usg=AFQjCNEE8SM7vRYFR53y62F8Xnkc46XPPw
What do you think a good lift height would be, is 15" enough? I would guess that a 2.5 ton would be fine to change a tire or the oil, since I would expect it to be at least as good as the tire change jack that comes with the truck, but I would like to lift enough to do more work than that.

Possibly this one?
GM Performance 3 ton SUV High Lift Jack ($75)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_010W439904490001P?prdNo=24

Also, what weight rating should I look for in a pair of jack stands?

LMHmedchem

I am looking to buy a floor jack tomorrow, but the last time I looked I realized that I didn't know the weight spec or lifting height that I need. Can anyone recommenced one for me?

LMHmedchem
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A few months earlier I bought a new Pittsburgh Steel, heavy duty, "quick lift" 3 ton floor jack from Harbor Freight Tools. It has dual pump pistons and I got it on sale for $69, it normally sells for $120. Works great and lifts the 4300 lb EX with ease. I need to get a better set of jack stands than what I currently have. I also have an old set of car ramps that still work fine. I find the ramps easier to use for oil changes, just drive up on to them and you can raise the whole front end up evenly for plenty of elbow room under the front end, plus they tilt the vehicle up and backwards for good oil drainage from the oil pan. BTW, buy a jack with a long reach handle, not the short ones or you will be on your hand and knees trying to line it up with the frame and pumping it up, not fun. One other tip, when jacking up your Ex on the rear passenger side, watch out for the gas tank near the rear wheel it rides close to the frame edge there.

I've got a 2 1/4 ton jack & 3 ton jack stands that I've had for 17+ years and they work great. I originally purchased them when I had my '88 full size Bronco.

I picked up a 3.5 ton arcan from costco about a year ago for around $100. It has no problem lifting my explorer. Its heavy as hell tho.

Check out this combo package. 19.25" of lift should be adequate.
I personally choose Craftsman for ease of exchange and warranty.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950188000P?prdNo=2
This is the one I ended up with, it was $120 last night, but today they had it knocked down to $90. I think that's a pretty good deal along with the 3-ton jack stands. Fortunately, they let me pick it up from the drive through, it would have been way fun to heft that box to the far reaches of the parking lot where I finally found an open space.

Where is the best place on the frame to lift from? Would I place the floor jack in the same spot as the scissor jack? I would probably put the jack stand on the axel, but I'm not sure that is right. This will just be front right for an oil change.

LMHmedchem

Where is the best place on the frame to lift from? Would I place the floor jack in the same spot as the scissor jack? I would probably put the jack stand on the axel, but I'm not sure that is right. This will just be front right for an oil change.

LMHmedchem
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've been lifting my EX with the jack either behind the front wheels or right infront of the rear wheels on the "frame" and have had no problems at those points. Almost dead even with the first support bracket coming off the frame to the runner boards front or rear. For oil changes, just get a pair of ramps, it will be alot faster and easier than screwing around with the jack and setting a jack stand in place and more secure of a platform to lay under. Once up on the ramps and in park or set the parking brake, just chock the front and rear of one of the rear tires.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've been lifting my EX with the jack either behind the front wheels or right infront of the rear wheels on the "frame" and have had no problems at those points. Almost dead even with the first support bracket coming off the frame to the runner boards front or rear. For oil changes, just get a pair of ramps, it will be alot faster and easier than screwing around with the jack and setting a jack stand in place and more secure of a platform to lay under. Once up on the ramps and in park or set the parking brake, just chock the front and rear of one of the rear tires.
I probably won't be getting ramps any time soon. I had a gift card that paid (mainly) for the jack and stands.

I guess I would jack on the frame somewhere behind the front tire (near where the scissor jack would go), and then put a jack stand on the axle (or somewhere close). I always chock both rear wheels, plus the front wheel I don't have up.

I once jacked up my 1991 explorer to do the rear brakes and had both rear wheels off, with one jack stand and a can jack on the other side. The can jack sank into the pavement (which was pretty new) and the whole thing rolled back off the jack stand. I had it chocked on the front tires to stop it rolling forward, but I never thought it would go the other way. Miraculously, it came down pretty slowly and didn't damage anything (or me), but I had a hell of a time getting the thing off of the ground again. I couldn't get the jack under anything on the rear end, so I had to puzzle for quite a bit to figure on what to do.

Now I chock everything and try to only have one wheel off at a time.

LMHmedchem

The oil change went well. I ended up placing the jack further back then I wanted to. The frame slopes up as it get close to the front wheel, so I had a hard time finding a good spot. I ended up putting the jack on the first more or less flat spot and then putting a jack stand on either side of the jack. The jack stands could have been a bit taller. It seemed very stable once I released the air on the jack. I tried to shake it some, but it wouldn't move at all. I had to change the oil from the front because the jack and stands were in the way on the side, but since you have to get the filter up front, it was just as well.

LMHmedchem

I probably won't be getting ramps any time soon. I had a gift card that paid (mainly) for the jack and stands.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I mentioned the ramps because I've used both (jacks or ramps) doing oil changes in the past and just found them much easier to use for oil changes. Plus they aid in good oil drainage from the engine oil return ports and the oil pan.

>>>>>>>>>>>I guess I would jack on the frame somewhere behind the front tire (near where the scissor jack would go), and then put a jack stand on the axle (or somewhere close).>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm not sure if these axles can handle that kind of weight. I know they can be taken apart/seperated and have oil seals in them. I had one of those axle seals repaired, it was slowly leaking. I place a jack stand next to the jack on the frame rail.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I once jacked up my 1991 explorer to do the rear brakes and had both rear wheels off, with one jack stand and a can jack on the other side. The can jack sank into the pavement (which was pretty new) and the whole thing rolled back off the jack stand. I had it chocked on the front tires to stop it rolling forward, but I never thought it would go the other way. Miraculously, it came down pretty slowly and didn't damage anything (or me), but I had a hell of a time getting the thing off of the ground again. I couldn't get the jack under anything on the rear end, so I had to puzzle for quite a bit to figure on what to do.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Close call. I hate those can/bottle jacks, but when you break down on the side of the road, you don't have much choice but to use them. I like a jack with a wider base to support and balance the weight of the vehicle better.

The oil change went well. I ended up placing the jack further back then I wanted to. The frame slopes up as it get close to the front wheel, so I had a hard time finding a good spot.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Yeah, that is why I said I place my jack on the frame near the support bracket for the runner boards, it flattens out there. You have to go back a little farther from the wheel, but it still lifts the front end from there.

>>>>>>>>> I ended up putting the jack on the first more or less flat spot and then putting a jack stand on either side of the jack. >>>>>>>>>>

I do the same thing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The jack stands could have been a bit taller. It seemed very stable once I released the air on the jack. I tried to shake it some, but it wouldn't move at all. I had to change the oil from the front because the jack and stands were in the way on the side, but since you have to get the filter up front, it was just as well.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I need a better set of jack stands, heavier duty, so I have a new zero balance Walmart credit card burning a hole in my wallet. Next month when I go to Walmart for some household supplies, I'll take a look at the jack stands they have there and I also need a new grease gun. My current 20 year old grease gun took a dump on me today when I was under the truck greasing my front, lower ball joints. I put in a new grease cartridge and couldn't get it to build up any pressure to pump out the grease well. I got the job done but it took a while. It''s also leaking some grease out the front end of it by the pump arm, time for a new one.

^ Suspicious first post, to a site with somewhat arbitrary recommendations that mainly have in common an amazon affiliate link to them.

Oh wait, MalB = Bashar Mal, that's YOUR website. It all makes sense.

^ Suspicious first post, to a site with somewhat arbitrary recommendations that mainly have in common an amazon affiliate link to them.

Oh wait, MalB = Bashar Mal, that's YOUR website. It all makes sense.
Got that right. Profile said he was from Texas, but his IP said Pakistan. I banned him and did a SPAM clean.

1678326802876.jpeg

^ yes

^ Yeah those are a great deal. Well... were an even better deal back pre-covid, before HF got rid of coupons and the price on all their jacks rose... used to be able to get those for about $70 after a coupon, or the low profile version (which I have) for $80. Now you have to pay to join their club to get it for $120-ish.

At the same time, if you don't need it to be portable, I feel like it's better to buy the most jack the budget will allow rather than merely enough to get vehicle "X" off the ground. I mean especially lift height as it's a lot nicer having a few more inches of clearance when working under a vehicle, on taller jack stands of course. I want a minimum of 18" and a few more inches, better still.

^ Yeah those are a great deal. Well... were an even better deal back pre-covid, before HF got rid of coupons and the price on all their jacks rose... used to be able to get those for about $70 after a coupon, or the low profile version (which I have) for $80. Now you have to pay to join their club to get it for $120-ish.

At the same time, if you don't need it to be portable, I feel like it's better to buy the most jack the budget will allow rather than merely enough to get vehicle "X" off the ground. I mean especially lift height as it's a lot nicer having a few more inches of clearance when working under a vehicle, on taller jack stands of course. I want a minimum of 18" and a few more inches, better still.

like my other one?
1678337885952.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back