• Register Today It's free!

Roof Cargo Bag?

BradleyFord

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Base 4WD
I'd like to get a roof cargo bag to help with carrying stuff for vacations this summer. I was looking at this: http://a.co/0beNoZ2 but from the photos it looks like it won't work with my 2017 Ex because it has flush roof bars on top. I have the cross bars already but I don't think that's enough. Anyone have any experience with roof cargo bags to fit an Ex with flush bars? I'm trying not to spend hundreds on a hard shell case if I can avoid it. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the weight limit that is on the roof rack just a couple of bags may put it over it's limit.

• 100 lb (45 kg) for vehicles without a moonroof.
  • 45 lb (20 kg) for vehicles with a moonroof.

Do you have the tow package and a receiver hitch where you could attach a cargo carrier on the back?

The weigh limits on the 16+ is a complete joke and basically unusable.... Maybe a hitch carrier?

I have a base 17 Ex so no sunroof or hitch. Yes, I'm aware of the 100lb limit, not trying to put heavy stuff up there, just larger items that take up space inside. Not sure how I would secure a cargo bag with the flush roof rails. I could prob rig something but I'd prefer not to and then test it a highway speeds.

The weigh limits on the 16+ is a complete joke and basically unusable.... Maybe a hitch carrier?
The maximum weight for the crossbars on the 5th gen up to 2015 has always been 100 lbs with or without a moonroof. Have never heard an explanation as to why it suddenly changed to 45 lbs. with the 2016+ with the moonroof although it likely has something to do with the redesign. But what?:dunno:

Peter

I'd like to get a roof cargo bag to help with carrying stuff for vacations this summer. I was looking at this: http://a.co/0beNoZ2 but from the photos it looks like it won't work with my 2017 Ex because it has flush roof bars on top. I have the cross bars already but I don't think that's enough. Anyone have any experience with roof cargo bags to fit an Ex with flush bars? I'm trying not to spend hundreds on a hard shell case if I can avoid it. Thanks!
Is there anyway that you can modify the straps to work with the fasteners supplied with your vehicle that are meant to screw into the side rails?

Peter

Is there anyway that you can modify the straps to work with the fasteners supplied with your vehicle that are meant to screw into the side rails?

Peter
Possibly, from the photos of the item on Amazon the straps towards the back need to secure around the bar. I might have to rig some kind of fastener that can attach to those screw in eye hooks and also be wide enough to accept the cargo strap. Something for me to think about.

ah... yeah that would be an issue, but if you add one (especially if not towing with it) can be done fairly inexpensively and give more options.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the weight limit, as long as you are reasonable. I figured I was carrying about 100lbs of ski gear in my 52lb cargo rack and I have a sun roof, so 45lb limit. No problems. But I got a much wider and lower profile cargo container, and wasn't racing around corners. Likewise, someone could easily get a small left or right side mounted cargo container and have worse center of gravity issues.

Anyways, a cargo bag is going to be quite noisy due to bad aerodynamics and looks like a lot of work to get it on and off -- guess it really depends on how much you'll use it and how long your road trips are. Definitely, you get what you pay for. I can highly recommend this: https://www.rackattack.com/cargo-luggage-racks/cargo-boxes/yakima-skybox-lo-carbonite/.

And if you are in no rush and want to save money, just watch Craigslist ads. There should be quite a lot, especially in the Seatlle area. You just need the ones with the rubber universal cross bar clamps, and of course, make sure it fits before you buy one :)

9kwAVu.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the weight limit, as long as you are reasonable. I figured I was carrying about 100lbs of ski gear in my 52lb cargo rack and I have a sun roof, so 45lb limit. No problems. But I got a much wider and lower profile cargo container, and wasn't racing around corners. Likewise, someone could easily get a small left or right side mounted cargo container and have worse center of gravity issues.

Anyways, a cargo bag is going to be quite noisy due to bad aerodynamics and looks like a lot of work to get it on and off -- guess it really depends on how much you'll use it and how long your road trips are. Definitely, you get what you pay for. I can highly recommend this: https://www.rackattack.com/cargo-luggage-racks/cargo-boxes/yakima-skybox-lo-carbonite/.

And if you are in no rush and want to save money, just watch Craigslist ads. There should be quite a lot, especially in the Seatlle area. You just need the ones with the rubber universal cross bar clamps, and of course, make sure it fits before you buy one :)

9kwAVu.jpg
Yeah I was looking at those Yakima Skyboxes, thinking of the 18 or 21. But with a my car having a 100lb max on top the case itself is nearly 50 lbs. There are a few on Offer Up i'm looking at.

Found a sweet deal on a Yakima Skybox Carbonite 21! Picking it up later today.

Sounds cool! Be aware of parking garages now. The car is about 5'11" and that'll likely add another 18" or so taking you to approximately 7.5 feet clearance. With my lower profile one, I was barely okay parking at my work -- in fact I bought it to fit.

Found a sweet deal on a Yakima Skybox Carbonite 21! Picking it up later today.
Don't forget we'll all want to see pictures when it's installed.:)

Peter

Wondering if anyone uses roof bags when traveling with their roof racks. I found a pretty solid one here, https://vaultcargo.com/subaru-forester-roof-rack-cross-bars, and wondering if the rooftop cargo bags hold up just as well as the hard case yakima ones. I would prefer the soft shell just because they are much easier to store when not using.

Back