Roof Structural Support W/ Side Windows Removed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Structural Support W/ Side Windows Removed

Darksyne

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
I've come across numerous posts by 410Fortune talking about how the BII was originally designed to have removable side windows and how the owner's manual even has instructions for removing and storing the side windows: http://broncoiipopoutsidewindow.homestead.com/index.html

Since the body was designed with side window removal in mind does anyone know if this means that the BII has adequate structural support with the side windows removed to not crush in a rollover? The support structure in front of the windows where the seat belts are connected seems to be strong, along with the structure behind the windows where the hatch connects. What I haven't been able to find a picture of is what support there is connecting these two points in the center.

Anyone have any roof pictures with the headliner removed that shows this support? I'd also welcome any input from people who have researched doing this before.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me check thru about a zillion photos and see what I can find. But sounds like you need cage.

PICT1888.jpg

This might help. That black part of the roof that I welded on to give the chop a finished look, is cut so that the C channel support is right behind the metal coming down. So if you follow the original body line from the side window flange you can see that it lines up with the roof support. Naturally where the side windows were removed there is no support coming down to the body.

If you have time you can go thru my build and may find out some more things you need to know about the roof.

IMG_5554.jpg

Here are the exposed supports in the cab area. They run from above windshield to that support that runs from side pillar to side pillar where I cut the top. In this pic I was starting to finish up the inside headliner with insulation and a metal headliner.

IMG_5572.jpg

Usually in a roll over those windows are the first to blow out.

This summer I plan to make vinyl inserts for mine.

Thanks for the replies!

The first picture from rookie's build thread shows two structural supports running above the side windows that connect the front and rear supports.

These two pictures show the structure before cutting and after:
IMG_0626.jpg

PICT1872.jpg

The windows don't appear to be providing any structural support since the bracing runs all the way around them so it looks like replacing them with some kind of canvas for the summer months is a go. :)

Back