• Register Today It's free!

Rotten Egg smell when towing!

imq707s

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I've got a 97 Mountaineer with the 5.0 motor. When ever I pull my boat or any other heavy load, during the first few highway miles there is this horrible rotten egg smell, then after a minute or so it goes away. I think it might have something to do with the catylitic converter heating up. I just don't understand how the smell gets inside my truck. Is there anything I can do to eliminate the smell? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

catalitic converter

It sounds like the cat. The only way to fix it is to replace it.

-Brad

I saw this problem on a 2000 Neon I was working on. But is smelled like this all the time. I notice the 02 sensor was staying a center or just really lazy to respond. Change the sensor and the smell went alway.

Just a idea.

Eric

Common problem on the 99 and 00 Cougar ... rotten egg smell when pushing the car hard. I replaced my Cat with a high-flow unit and the smell went away forever. You can get an aftermarket high-flow cat welded in for about 1/3rd the cost of an OEM replacement.

I forget who I was talking to about this, but he said if your exhaust smells like "rotten eggs" that means the the cat(s) are doing there job and it doesnt mean that they need to be replaced.

Back