Rough Idle After Cam Chain Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle After Cam Chain Replacement

Ssgt Pool

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok everyone. My 05 Explorer 4.0 Is driving me crazy. I bought it with bad chain cassettes and have since pulled the engine and replaced them. After getting the engine back in and starting it I had a rough idle. It is acting like it is miss firing on one cylinder, but there is no check engine light and no codes at all. It does start up, slowly after sitting a few days but the rough idle is there. It also will not go over 3000 RPMs at any time. I have ran a compression check on every cylinder and have 150lbs in all of them, so I am assuming the cams are timed correctly. It has 135000 miles on it, which it had when I bought it. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Plug wires in order?

Have a scanner capable of seeing what cylinder is missing?

Usually you get 180-200 psi on a good compression sohc

I have ran a scanner on it and it has no codes at all. I did disconnect the exhaust loss and it changed nothing so I don't think the cats are plugged up. As for the plug wires, I will check them again I was sure they were put back the way the were when I pulled the engine. It ran smooth, but had a bad rattle.

Back