Rough Idle, Clicking Noise, and Decreased MPG | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle, Clicking Noise, and Decreased MPG

Zach_90

Reaction score
City, State
Lima, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
About 2 months ago I pulled my Explorer out of storage where it has been for the past 3 years while I was in Germany. I flushed all of the fluids and got a new battery, family borrowed mine and lost it. First couple of weeks it ran fine but intermittently it wouldnt start, checked it off to storage issues. Cue to a month later when ive now been driving for 2 months and the starting issue is completely gone but now I get a ticking noise from the engine that has gradually gotten louder while at the same time the engine starts shaking increasingly worse at idle while my MPG has dropped by 5-6. I ran the codes and came back with a cylinder 6 misfire. I replaced the fuel filter, long overdue anyway, all the plugs and checked the OHMs on the wires/Coil Pack and they all came back normal. My next thought is the injectors so I ordered one, (Dont have the money for all 6 right now due to moving) It will be here on Friday and ill test the injectors then and hopefully that will fix it. However if they come back normal what would be the next possible issue to look at? Ive been looking over every forum I can find and ive seen similiar issues but I'm not sure if my particular storage situation might have messed up some things that others might not have.I apologize for the long post, I was trying to include all pertinent information to hopefully make it easier to diagnose. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Sounds like arching. When it's dark, or park in a dark garage, and run the engine. Look under the hood and if you see a spark, you have located the arch.
Replace required parts.

Have you run Techtron or similar cleaner through the fuel system to clean injectors, etc.?

Back