• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle Speed

pbzmag

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I just installed a K&N FIPK Gen II on my 99 EX. Until yesterday, it's been running fine. Now it has a rough idle. Upon starting, the idle speed is 1000 then goes down to 500 after it gets warm. When it's warm the rpm's fluctuate around 400-700. It feels like is going to dye when the idle gets really low. I also change gears and th idle goes low as 200-300. I already cleaned my MAF and TB with a cleaner. Anyone have any answer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let's start with simple things first, did you reset the computer when you installed the KN? If you did, then it could be the IAC, idle air control valve.

Yes I did reset the computer when I installed it filter. I also disconnected the battery last night and reconnected it back this morning. I then let it run for awhile till it got warm. It still had a rough idle but the fluctuating idle speed has gone away. Is 500 rpm the norm?

The idle for the V6s is normally around 700-800. 500 is a bit low. But if it was steady, you're getting somewhere.

Have you checked the IAC? May need to be cleaned. Sounds like you're on the right track though and know what you're doing ;)

I thought 500 was a bit low! I did a search for my problem and found alot of threads. I also bought Chilton's manual to help me find the IAC.

PS - anyone planning on getting a Gen II for their Ex should go to www.smartyparts.com. It sells for about $175 with shipping.

If you have the SOHC engine it may not be the filter. Maybe installing it made an existing problem worse. When I had my 98 X it suffered from rough idle. In a period of two months the dealer replaced the MAF sensors 3 times and the IAC valve once. None of them were the culprit. Since it was still under warranty I had the dealer check to see if the o-rings on the intake manifold were leaking and that solved my problem. ( I think Ford has a TSB on this problem) The dealer thanked me for helping them diagnose the problem. ( I guess it saved them a lot of money!)

JM Dookie - Yes, I also really doubt it's the filter. I had it on since Saturday with no probs, only on Wednesday and today. As far it might be an existing problem, I really don't know if it is. My Ex haven't given me problems till yesterday. I just got my food at the window and was about to pull out of the driveway when I noticed that it was handling rough. I did notice that I lacked power when I throttled but it came back after a few seconds. When I got home I did noticed that the cat, I have two, was really sizzling more than usual. I'll probably rent a code scanner tomorrow to see if I have any.

Hey pbzmag, did you ever find out what was causing your rough idle?

Yes I did. The problem turned out to be bad o2 sensors. Went to the dealer and had them replaced.

Back