• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle stall now no start

Kidd7

Reaction score
City, State
RTP, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X AWD EB 5L
2000 Ex v8 AWD: wife came out of a store and wouldn't start. Called AAA jumped it and it start but idled horribly. Towed home. I started it, it ran terrible and stalled after a minute or so. ForScan shows code: P0232 - fuel pump secondary circuit high. no other codes.

I unplugged the MAF, it started and idled OK. Run to the auto parts store and replace the MAF. Now she doesn't start at all. Won't start w/ MAF unplugged, new or old MAF installed.

I swapped the fog light relay with the fuel pump relay, verified fog lights come on. Move KOEO and heard the fuel pump prime once or twice then no more.

I jumpered the fuel pump relay pins 3 to 5 and do not hear the pump.

At this point I'm thinking a bad fuel pump, I do not have a pressure gauge to verify.

Any other thoughts?

It is a bit of work to drop the tank or cut an access hole, so i would make the effort to get a pressure gauge to check that. Autozone, advance auto, etc parts stores have loaner tools where you just put down a deposit on it.

Before even doing that, you can simply depress the fuel rail valve to see if pressure is built up. If you get fuel out, that doesn't tell you if the pressure is high enough, but no fuel would tell you that it wasn't priming the fuel rail.

You can also try starter/etc fluid to see if you get it firing, helping to isolate a fuel issue, or hook up a scan tool and look at data like the crankshaft position sensor if it seems to have good ~60PSI+ fuel pressure.

There is also the chance that, especially being 24 years old, there is a wiring or connector problem to fuel pump or elsewhere. You can check for voltage at the fuel pump if it turns out that it isn't making pressure.

I've got no fuel pressure, the relay clicks and I don't hear the pump prime. All signs point to dropping the tank, parts are on order. Hopefully this ain't too bad.

Back