RPM's sky high and climb upward after start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RPM's sky high and climb upward after start

sman83

Reaction score
City, State
Reno,NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
I just changed out the push rods and rocker arms this morning, got every thing back together and I go to start it and the RPM's just started climbing and climbing until I turned it off.

I unhooked the battery and tried again, same thing. I checked every thing and it all looked good. I just put new lifters into it last week and drove it for a week no problems but now the RPM's are high and are at about 4k in about 10 5 seconds after starting.

Its a 99 Mountaineer 5.0...My first thought was something with the throttle cable but the cable and plate are where they are supposed to be, granted I havent got out to see whats going on after I start it.

Would unhooking the throttle cable and cruise control cable then starting it to see if thats in issue advisable?

Sounds like a major vacuum leak. I'd start by double checking all of the intake manifold plumbing (brake booster, pcv system, etc.)

Got it, the cruise control cable was stuck in the bracket somehow. All fixed now ;)

Back