Rubber around door and plastic below whipers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rubber around door and plastic below whipers

I'm jus wondering I have a 97 Ford Explrer 2 door. Paint is in good shape the only thing I really want to figure out how to fix is the discoloration with the rubber or plastic like material around the windows and on the doors? Also the plastic under the winshield whipers. Does anyone know how to fix the oxidation and discoloration?
Thank you. Jon

Here is a picture of my ride. I highlighted the areas which I am referring to. Cant really see the plastic below the windshield though I believe you will know what I am referring to. Can you replace these parts? Or by them somewhere?

explorer-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an idea, for the plastic parts, clean them up with some Armor all or tire shine. It usually brings the black back. As for the metal spots, tape up and rattle can paint it.

Mothers Back to Black does a great job on that stuff.

On the larger non-rubber pieces, I use Meguiar's Cleaner Paste Wax.

Works great :thumbsup:

MGU_A-1214_LG_small.jpg

pretty explorer UFO

I use tire dressing on my rubber seals.
The rear window trim it is quite common for that to get the funk.
Most folks tape and respray.
Same with the short glass.

The rear is a perminate piece on the glass. The short glass trim is rivited on if I recall.

Paint most of those, the side window seals(rubber) are parts which will soon be obsolete. Look at those very carefully, if they show any brittleness or cracking, you should replace them with new pieces while they are still available. Good luck,

Back