• Register Today It's free!

running hot idling high

njschad

Reaction score
City, State
Independence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 sport 4x4
i have a 1999 x 4x4 with 4.0 sohc auto trans... i bought it with 123,000 just rolled 143,000 yesterday then i started seeing some stuff late last night... when i start the vehicle the rpm's jump up past 2000 about to 23-2400 or so.. after a second or 2 it settles down between 1100 and 1500.. it only does this when the engine is warm... cold start is fine.. and at first this is the only thing i had noticed then i look down while driving on the highway and notice that the temp gauge is running high.. the temp gauge stays at least 3/4 the way to red and has gone a bit higher never made it into the red though... no dummy lights have come on, never had a CEL.. im pretty ignorant when it comes to troubleshooting a vehicle.. simple maintence and repair is no problem but i dont know what goes on under a hood with things like this.. any help would be great thank you all

Id have your thermostat replaced and flush your coolant. About the idle, idk. Id start by checking all your sensors, MAF, IAC and what not. Give them a good cleaning with maf parts cleaner.

Back