• Register Today It's free!

Running like a P.O.S. Update

88cougar

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Limited AWD 5.0
A little update from my previous post. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278175. I removed the cam position sensor and all looked well. I did an oil change today and thought I would pull a plug to see what was going on. I never suspected plugs because these ones had only 12,000 miles on them. Plug #1 had just a sliver left on the electrode. I pulled the rest and all were shot. Most had no electrode left and half of them were missing most of the porcelain. The plugs were NGK's. Never ever put these in your truck. I should have listened to everyone here and bought Motocraft. Lesson learned the hard way. The truck runs much better now. Still not quite right so new wires are on order. I still managed to embarrass some kid in his Accord with a fart can. On a side note I put in new sway bar bushings (Poly ones from NAPA). What a difference. Tomorrow is new endlinks and rear bushings. A huge THANK-YOU to all of the posters here. It's like I'm driving a new truck.

NGK V-Power's? Those are what I'm running in mine and it runs like utter crap... Misfires, almost dies at idle sometimes (i can see the headlights dimming and volt gauge go down along with tach going down). With the old motorcraft's before ran better.

Good to know as I'm having the same issue.

Yes it was the V powers. I have never seen plugs go that bad so quickly. I was amazed that the truck ran at all. What confused me was that it ran great until it warmed up. That led me to believe it was a sensor problem and not the plugs. Get those NGK's out ASAP. Good luck.

Back