• Register Today It's free!

Running/Sounds VERY rough in gear

trobi11

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
my parents have a 96 ford explorer xlt, 4.0l, auto trans. Not sure of any other specs. The water pump recently seized up, and overheated. My dad replaced the water pump shortly after. It now runs normal heat, but when you start it up it just sounds/feels incredibly rough, like its grinding bad, if you shift it into neutral it doesnt do it as bad. there is a check engine light, It read p0171-lean, p0153- o2 sensor 2nd bank, 1st sensor, p0401- egr, p0303- misfire in cylinder 3.

Could any of those codes cause the problem that drastic or is that something engine/trans related?
Thank you for any help in this matter, kinda need the car running it is a family DD.

Tim

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, those codes seem pretty serious if it was running fine beforehand. Did your dad doublecheck everything was put back right (vac lines, wiring etc)?

How long did it overheat? These engines don't do well after a major overheat, in the worse case there could be a headgasket issue with cyl 3 getting coolant. I would pull the plug and see what is going on in that cyl.

it overheated a while and he had to drive it while overheated to get it home. I'll try and pull the plug and see whats up. Would replacing the egr and o2 sensor be out of the question? i think they were 50 and 55. I dont think he messed with any vac lines. during the water pump fiasco.
Thanks for any help
Tim

Back