• Register Today It's free!

Rust

Dario

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
My 02 is beginning to show rust on the lower insides of the front and rear passenger doors. They are less used than the drivers side and I'm guessing snow gets caught up in those places.

The rust is not noticeable from the outside due to the plastic trim so my only concern is safeguarding the integrity of the doors.

I've a month's vacation coming up, and therefore some time, so any ideas on how I can solve this would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you take any pics?
i see you live in MN, similar to our MI, great salt states.
you definitely want to do something . . .imo.
Depends, loosen rust and coat it with paint will hold for a few.

Ya i plan on sanding down my rear fenders and either por-15 or similar. Im just gonna do the whole lower half around the whole truck.

Rust1.jpg

Rust2.jpg

Rust3.jpg

A few years ago I sanded off what was then, light rust, and used White Rustoleum. Part of me thinks that at least some of this visible rust is in fact the Rustoleum.

My 02 is beginning to show rust on the lower insides of the front and rear passenger doors. They are less used than the drivers side and I'm guessing snow gets caught up in those places.

The rust is not noticeable from the outside due to the plastic trim so my only concern is safeguarding the integrity of the doors.

The rust in your pics appears to be surface rust, so sand, then use a surface cleaner like "Total Prep" to clean off any contaminants, then prime and paint. After the paint cures in a week or two, apply a coat of wax to the inner doors just for added surface protection. You might want to check and make sure that the door drain holes at the bottom of the door are open, not clogged, so water that gets inside of the doors can properly drain out and dry out the inner doors.

Brilliant!
Thanks.

yep as others have said.
Bummer you would think it would last imo.

A few years ago I sanded off what was then, light rust, and used White Rustoleum. Part of me thinks that at least some of this visible rust is in fact the Rustoleum.

All newer cars are dipped at the factory to prevent corrosion. If you sanded off this layer of protection the you might have made this area more susceptible to rusting. You probably need an anti corrosion layer stronger than a layer of Rustoleum paint. It looks like you need to deal with it now or it will penetrate to the interior and then you will have a whole new set of problems to deal with. Some of the photos look like the rust might be coming from the inside out on the doors.

I would suggest using a zinc based paint for the sub layer as it will provide good protection against corrosion.

Zinc-based. Never would have guessed.
Thanks.

hit it with por15 and then paint over it with your body color for a nice finish

Whats it like underneath?

Zinc-based. Never would have guessed.
Thanks.

Hey Dario,

There is touch up paint company out there that I have seen on TV in their commercial ads called www.drcolorchip.com. They say they can match up your exact paint color from the color code on your drivers door sticker. I haven't bought anything from them as of yet, but they claim their product is easy to use and they show before and after pics on their web site. Don't know if their product is good for larger areas like your rust spots or just good on smaller paint chips, but you might want to take a look at their web site for your touch up paint.

Underneath (both scraped off rust and on the other side of the panels) are solid.

As for the color, thanks, but since this is all totally hidden under trim or facing the inside it's not really seen.

So about the POR-15, does this really work? Some of the areas are difficult to sand/scrape as they're so tight.

do not sand if you use por15, you brush it right on the rust, you may want to use their cleaner and prep agent, I would recommend their starter kit, the stuff is really thin and goes a long ways, read their instructions on their website, Its not complicated but it is a bit tricky. Then you can spray paint your body color white over the POR once its all dry. It wont be nice and even but its the bottom of a door and fender, who's looking there, and it will stop the rust.

Example: The gas meter on my dad's house had a real nasty rusted pipe, completely solid. He painted it with POR15 and it looks amazing, no sanding, just brushed the loose stuff off. ''

I would recommend using a wirewheel drill head to clean up the loose stuff.

http://www.por15.com/SUPER-STARTER-KIT/productinfo/SSKB/

Back