Safety Siping Tires??

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I am a little concerned about the crappy 20" Hankook tires coming on my 2011 Limited.

Swapping out tires will not be in the budget for me, right now.

I am thinking about having the tires safety siped to improve winter driving in ice and snow. Has anyone thought about doing this option? I've done this in the past on my 2003 and 2005 Explorers (more to improve ride quality, not for snow & ice). Costs about $13 per tire and no rebalancing required.

I may just drive on the tires until Oct/Nov...and then do the siping just before winter 2012.

Comments?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be worried about sipping such thin tires, but I guess you can try it.

I think he's referring to since they are low profile 20" tires, siping will be a concern. But as you stated, the tread blocks are still the same regardless of how big the sidewall is.

I think he's referring to since they are low profile 20" tires, siping will be a concern. But as you stated, the tread blocks are still the same regardless of how big the sidewall is.
Never heard of that before but I don't know if anything can help that tire to make it safer.

I am a little concerned about the crappy 20" Hankook tires coming on my 2011 Limited.
Swapping out tires will not be in the budget for me, right now.
Comments?
$50,000 vehicle with $50 tires. What was Ford thinking?? Found a tire dealer here in Ottawa that will give me $80 for each Hankook plus $5 per tire discount for bringing in the quote he sent me. Looking at Yokohama Parada Spec-X, $340 each before discounts mentioned. Still looking at $1300+ including tax. I will be using dedicated Winter tires as well. Good luck Bill.

The Michelin Latitude Tour HP's that come with the XLT seemed to be the best stock tires you can get on any 2011 Explorer. You would think the Limited would get some good rubber but alas it went to the lowest bidder. When the Michelins wear out on my XLT, I'll most likely replace them with their big brothers, the LTX M/S all-season tires. I've used Blizzaks on my 2WD Ranger in the past to good effect (without them I'd surely be dead). Driving the Ranger in snow with all-weather tires is a death sentence.

Those Yokohama's seem to get pretty good reviews for being relatively cheap. Let us know how you like them.

part of what makes winter tires work so well is the fact that they have lots of "sipes" designed into them- those slits in the tread blocks. This gives the tire that many more "biting" surfaces. If you sipe an all season tire (or even a summer tire), you will increase its snow/ice traction.

The other part that makes winter tires work so well is that their rubber compound remains flexible when cold (and is why they wear like butter when it's warm/hot out). Unfortunately, siping an all season tire won't help in this regard.

Yes, I was referring to the low profile, but I don't really have much experience with tires with less than like 14/32" of tread so I'll assume you know what you're doing.

Back