Screamin’ Deamon Coil Pack Installation | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Screamin’ Deamon Coil Pack Installation

when do you expect to gap the plugs and test, if ever?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great ! see your results then.

Can't wait to see the results with the gapped plugs. I'm interested in this setup...not sure if I want to drop the money they're asking for the matching plug wires though so I may shop elsewhere for those.

Eagerly awaiting results... =o]

New plugs and wires going in soon. The plugs will be gapped at 0.065.

Hope this will help gas mileage ....

I was wondering if those coils would work on the 4.0 when I saw them on the supercoupe performance web site. I found them on Performance Distributors web site but listed for the 3.8. Looks like they do. I will look into one.

Tim

Coil Pack Installation

Yes the Screamin Deamon pack is compatible with the 4.0L Explorer. I recently installed on in my 03 4.0L explorer, and like Al I did notice an improved idle.

The only issues I noted during the install was that the connector for the ECU wiring was vertical as opposed to horizontal. This required me to loosen the harness in order for the connector to reach the coil pack. Secondly I did have to flip the order of the wires as Al describes in post #1 of this thread.

Since that time I have tried gapping the plugs to .065", while this did not change the MPG ratings, it did appear to have a slight but noticible improvement in the idle. I should mention that I also installed Jacobs 9mm wires at the same time as the coil pack

I soon plan on re-installing the MSD DIS-4 ignition amplifier to see how the screamin deamon pack will work with it.

Good Luck

--Joe

AL...

Can simply UPGRADING my PLUGS / WIRES while using the stock coil pack promote a smoother running X, or does it mainly come from the pack ???

im putting OFFROADING on the back burner for the moment, and chasing after my goal of ( V8 POWER ) out of my V6...

my goal for my V6 is... 240 HP / 275-280 TQ

currently with my INTAKE/EXHAUST i would GUESS im at 220/260 ??

AL...

Can simply UPGRADING my PLUGS / WIRES while using the stock coil pack promote a smoother running X, or does it mainly come from the pack ???

If your plugs/wires are faulty, then simply replacing them would indeed improve things. However, the use of the SD coil pack will definately help.

im putting OFFROADING on the back burner for the moment, and chasing after my goal of ( V8 POWER ) out of my V6...

my goal for my V6 is... 240 HP / 275-280 TQ

You must be referring to crank HP not RWHP?

currently with my INTAKE/EXHAUST i would GUESS im at 220/260 ??

Not a chance, sorry.

when i say 220/260 im going off the ( CRANK ) absolulety ! no way am i putting that to the ground, holy wow if thats what i was putting to the ground i wouldnt bother modding the motor...

isnt the stock HP/TQ for my truck ( CRANK ) rated...

- 210/255

theres no way im getting 220/260 at the CRANK with my INTAKE/EXHAUST ???? are those numbers really that far off ??

im really interested in finding out how much power i actually have...

when i say 220/260 im going off the ( CRANK ) absolulety !

Crank HP is a meaningless number used for the purpose of selling cars/trucks.

Wheel HP is the number that means something.

isnt the stock HP/TQ for my truck ( CRANK ) rated...
- 210/255

Yes, thats what Ford says.

theres no way im getting 220/260 at the CRANK with my INTAKE/EXHAUST ???? are those numbers really that far off ??

Yes.

im really interested in finding out how much power i actually have...

Then you need to visit a dyno.

Good luck ....

i agree...

i went to my local performance shop... and the guy ( who was very rude btw ) asked if my X was 4x4... i said yes but it is optional, and his reply was no we cant do it...

does ( auto 4x4 ) mean that i cant do a dyno run ? i was under the impression that ( auto 4x4 ) means im in 2wd until the truck feels like its losing traction ???

or do i need to find a AWD dyno ?????

You would have to disable the front drive shaft, as in the brown wire modification. You could remove the front shaft while also pulling the brown wire signal. The shop would likely require the shaft to be out.

k...

im going to google search a local AWD dyno... not taking my driveshafts apart lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cant decide between the SD coil or the Accel one, but I'm leaning towards the Accel pack.. What are you're thoughts on the Accel one Al?

Back