SCT SF3-3015 on a 2008 Explorer 4.0L 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SCT SF3-3015 on a 2008 Explorer 4.0L 4x4

JaysOnTheEDGE

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello Everyone

I have a 2008 Explorer 4x4 4.0L i'm using a SCT SF3-3015 tuner just using the the SCT "Strategy tune" for now. Does anyone know if you can adjust the transmission shift firmness on the tuner? I dont see a place for it in the menu system. The Stragety Code is PWFE0A5

I asked SCT tech support for more information about this particular stragety code but all i got back was a link to the quickstart guide. Which makes no mention of this application.

Tune seems ok just wanted to bump the transmission firmness up a bit. I'm running pretty much stock for now. Would like to get a exhaust system eventually. I'm pretty sure after that i will get a custom tune from one of the vendors.

I've used HP Tuners on a GM platform myself to tune my old Colorado but It's been awhile since ive had a ford tuned.

Thanks
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when you are loading the tune file, after you select the octane, the device will ask if you want to use "user adjustablity" select yes and in that menu is where the pressure adjustment would be listed.

the 6 speed cant be adjusted, but the 5 speed might be able to. If the option "Adjust shift Pressure" is not available then no dice.

I work at a large tuning shop and we can not access the transmission files on the 6 speed with the SCT tuning software.

I ran a SCT strategy tune on my 03 Mounty 4.0L for over a year using the 93 tune and picked up good mileage, and then we loaded a custom tune and it was even better and I ran that until recently when I sold it.

Calibration/ tunes make a big difference in the performance of the engine. I never was looking for power gains out of my V6 just fuel mileage.

I dont want to advertise, but I will say that calibrations on the 3 valve 4.6L are VERY similar to 3 valve Mustang calibrations. I drive a 06 4.6L now with our calibration and it is very nice. sadly no tranny adjustments though.

Make sure you have the latest update on you SF3. When I updated mine I gained the ability to disable EGR and rear O2s.

when you are loading the tune file, after you select the octane, the device will ask if you want to use "user adjustablity" select yes and in that menu is where the pressure adjustment would be listed.

the 6 speed cant be adjusted, but the 5 speed might be able to. If the option "Adjust shift Pressure" is not available then no dice.

I work at a large tuning shop and we can not access the transmission files on the 6 speed with the SCT tuning software.

I ran a SCT strategy tune on my 03 Mounty 4.0L for over a year using the 93 tune and picked up good mileage, and then we loaded a custom tune and it was even better and I ran that until recently when I sold it.

Calibration/ tunes make a big difference in the performance of the engine. I never was looking for power gains out of my V6 just fuel mileage.

I dont want to advertise, but I will say that calibrations on the 3 valve 4.6L are VERY similar to 3 valve Mustang calibrations. I drive a 06 4.6L now with our calibration and it is very nice. sadly no tranny adjustments though.
Howdy: Was just checking into this tuner for my 06 4.6. What mileage increase have you observed thus far? Is yours pretty much stock or do you have a bunch of mods, e.g. CAI kit? If you have a K&N CAI, did you go with the metal or plastic AI tube and same question on the mileage improvement (if any). Thanks in advance!

the average increase is about 2 MPG's Highway I would say. But it completely depends on driving habits and what type of roads you drive, like city or highway. In the city or towns with stop and go, you are still going to pull normal MPG's. The area where increases are seen is highway or long stretches of road where you can cruise without stopping in my opinion.

On the 06 4.6L with a K&N Cold air, we didn't see a huge increase (like 5) in MPG, but in power above 3000 RPM there is an increase.

Keep in mind that the 4.6L 3v engine is a mid to high RPM power producer. So when the truck is above 3000-3200 RPM the VCT (variable cam timing) adjusts to a power profile. The extra air from the Cold Air Intake is really used at this RPM, so that is where you feel it. Not so much down low. Also, because of the timing in a SCT Tune or one of Brenspeed's custom calibrations, you will also get the best performance using 93 octane fuel, or 91 if that is the highest in your area.

My truck here is a 2006 Exp. EB 4.6L 3V with a Brenspeed Custom tune and K&N CAI. No other Mods. We are putting the Stryker 475 SUV Supercharger package (Check this post for information) on it in a few weeks for testing, but for right now tune and CAI are the mods.

The K&N Filter I use is the plastic inlet tube design. Not a difference between the plastic and metal in performance, its just appearance. Also, this CAI will work on a 2007-10 Sport Trac and the 06-10 Mountaineer even though its not listed on K&N's site.

One more thing. If you have a K&N CAI on your truck and ever need to replace the air filter, DO NOT use a larger filter that the supplied K&N. You WILL get check engine lights for a Lean condition is bank one and bank too. Stick with the K&N brand if you ever need to replace.

On average with a 93 Oct tune and Cold air your MPG's might pick up 2 on the highway. At least that is about what I see in our 2006 Exp. But you will for sure notice an increase in power above 3000 RPM. Plus since this engine has an electronic throttle body, a custom tune will increase your throttle response and take the mush out of the throttle pedal.

Bottom line is a Custom Tune, or even the canned SCT absoutly makes a difference, but how much depends on how and where you use the truck.

If you have other questions please give me a call at the number below and I would be glad to answer. Or post back here.

Doug

'06 4.6L tuning and performance questions

Hi Doug:

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. As you said, it seems the tuning provided the biggest ROI. So far, I've only been focusing on the COPS and plugs to eliminate misfires and following other posts from this forum to eliminate raw fuel smell in the cabin. No more misfires or fuel smell, but the throttle response is still mushy, almost seems to stumble. Once I am up to 3k rpm or so though, it seems to get up and go.

Last week I removed the plugs again to check their condtion and noted that 3were wet (dripping) with fuel. I sprayed carb cleaner and blew them out with compressed air. I re-installed the plugs per the Ford TSB (added anti-sieze). The throttle response off the line was awesome. A 30-mile test drive peaked @19.2 mpg (87 octane). However, after driving for a week now, my mileage has stalled out at 15, even on the highway and the mushy throttle is back. I've tried running higher octane fuels (89 and 92), but it makes no difference.

So... does this sound more like injector issues or tuning issue? Have you or anyone else here tried aftermarket injectors?

to bloominexplorer.... did you actually disable the egr and o2 sensors or are you just noting the new capability from the sf3 upgrade? If disabled, can you share your learning?

Thanks, Greg

Greg,

We have TONS of experience here at Brenspeed with the 4.6L 3V engine, as it is used in 05-10 Mustangs. The truck version used in your Exp is mostly the same except for the intake manifold, throttle body, iron bock, and we believe the cams might be slightly different but haven't verified that.

With that said, I have not heard of the issue you describe with your plugs being wet when removed in either Mustang or Exp-ST-Mounty. And we work on all of those vehicles. What is Extremely common on these engines fouled spark plugs and dirty throttle bodies because of oil in the intake system.

On mustangs, most misfires are related to plugs because of this. In short, the way Ford vents the crank case is to route the vapor back into the intake system and re-burn it. Because this engine carries high crankcase pressure (even more when supercharged) the gasses carry oil vapor. This will build up in the throttle body over time and fouls plugs. That is why Mustang owners will install a oil separator on the valve cover vents. Trucks vent the same way and can have oil covered TB's, but that symptom is a rough idle & fouled plugs-- not wet plugs from fuel.

The Above is just an FYI

A "Mushy" pedal is common on all the stock 4.6 3V because the TB is electronic and there is a delay when you push the pedal and when the TB opens. With a Tune, we decrease this delay, so the "mush" subsides a little.

Trouble shooting injectors on your own would be a huge pain, but could be done by swapping injectors from a wet cylinder to a good one and see if it follows. Much easier to have a shop do this for you.

If it is determined that your fuel injectors are clogged and causing bad fueling in a cylinder, DO NO install a larger injector. Go stock. A larger injector will not increase power, generally cause issues if not needed, and would have to be calibrated for.

Speaking of calibration, a custom calibration would not help you situation in my opinion. We are dealing with something mechanical.

My Exp also had plug and coil issues a while back, out of the blue. I installed OEM coils I had here at the shop, and Auto-lite HT1 Plugs. That cleared it up. My plugs looked used, but good when removed.

Hi Everyone, I realize I am reviving an old thread but my questions are similar to those here.
I have an 06 4.6 stock Explorer and a SCT SF3 3015 tuner. I bought the tuner for my 01GT and recently sold the car and returned the car to stock unlocking my tuner. When I try to upload a canned tune to my explorer I get unsupported strategy. I'm quite sure that it should be supported.
The reason I want to update the stock tune is, I just bought a small travel trailer and was hoping to get better fuel mileage while towing! Can a "towing" tune be made for the explorer?

Back