Seafoam....yeah I know..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seafoam....yeah I know.....

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Seafoam has been around for years and Im sure many know about. Some may have even used it as seen on Youtube.

I find it hard to believe that this liquid will/can clean the intake system of hard deposits.

My brother used it and said it made a noticeable difference in the performance of his vehicle.

Anyone ever use Seafoam and do a detailed after study after using this stuff?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it can make a difference in some cases where there is a lot of carbon buildup. Most of the time I think the improvements are minimal.

Seafoam has been around for years and Im sure many know about. Some may have even used it as seen on Youtube.

I find it hard to believe that this liquid will/can clean the intake system of hard deposits.

My brother used it and said it made a noticeable difference in the performance of his vehicle.

Project farm did a video on YouTube with an old ranger 4.0 I believe and it made a world of difference. His engine sounded like it was knocking but after ran quiet as almost new. If you have any doubts about the stuff I’d definitely check the video out. He then came back a year later for a follow up and the engine still sounded great. I’ve also used it and my 4.6 definitely ran a little quieter after aswell I did the three way treatment gas tank, crank case, and intake as he did in the video and it definitely runs better. I have no concrete proof but you’ll see for yourself if you use it. Just unbolt the cats so you don’t clog them with all that gunk

What do you really have to lose? $9? If you regularly redline your motor you are unlikely to have a carbon issue. You might still see some benefits as a fuel system cleaner, however.

I recently tried the high mileage version $10. Added it to gas tank and oil. Although it’s early or maybe my perception but it does sound like its running better.

Re Seafoam... The YouTube Project Farm guy put it in an old Ranger pickup and believes it made a pretty big difference in how it ran. IDK, to me these "cures in a bottle" are mostly all snake-oil products. There are a couple of products that I've personally used and have found to be of benefit in some situations (most notably K-Seal and Marvel Mystery Oil) but these products are few and far between and only of benefit it certain situations. It's like the spray-on penetrant products (like Kroil and PB Blaster to name a couple). In all my years of wrenching on rusty stuff I've never found that any of these products penetrate into the threads of a rusted-solid bolt. Your better off making a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone and/or using heat to try to get rusty fasteners to come apart w/out breaking, even then you're often not successful.

In having watched the Project Farm guy do around a dozen of his tests I usually feel that his means of testing products are not real-world and often don't prove anything one way or the other. JMHO.

In having watched the Project Farm guy do around a dozen of his tests I usually feel that his means of testing products are not real-world and often don't prove anything one way or the other. JMHO.
I mostly watch him to see if bacon grease can be used as crankcase oil etc. I think he tries hard to be consistent and reasonably technical. After all, he is doing most of this "research" in a pole barn.

FIY - I just watched the YouTube "Project Farm" guy's update video on his old Ford Ranger 1 year later (not many hours/farm truck) Seafoam experiment. For those who may not have seen it. Seems his Seafoam application did a pretty good job as the engine still sounds and is running good.

Used Seafoam several times and never noticed a difference. In fact, I got a PO172 code that turned out to be a clogged o2 sensor from a piece of carbon that came from the engine. After removing the carbon piece and putting everything back together, the code was gone. Never used Seafoam again.

Used Seafoam several times and never noticed a difference. In fact, I got a PO172 code that turned out to be a clogged o2 sensor from a piece of carbon that came from the engine. After removing the carbon piece and putting everything back together, the code was gone. Never used Seafoam again.

I had a similar experience using Seafoam. Will not use it again.

Fellows. Thanks for your input. I'll stay away from the stuff. I might pick up a bottle and dribble some on some exhaust carbon ( I'll find it on something) and see for myself if this "magic" liquid dissolves carbon.

I live a swear by Marvins Mystery Oil. Pour a few ounces into the tank every 4 fill-ups and walk away. Have never had a problem. Works great for freeing sticking lash adjusters too.

I've seen two good things happen by pouring seafoam in the crankcase. It doesn't take much to get it working.
  1. I've unstuck a ticking lifter in an old SBC motor.
  2. Also improved oil pressure and got a stuck, rattling camshaft chain tensioner unstuck in a severely neglected VW Passat.
I have tried doing the vacuum line fogging of the intake, heads, and cylinders but never noticed much difference besides burning up an 02 sensor and fouling some spark plugs. I wouldn't use it that way unless it's an extreme, proven case of buildup and you're prepared to replace those downstream parts, possibly even catalytic converters afterward.

I've dumped some in the gas tank before, but noticed no difference.

Back