Seeking advice on possible purchase | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seeking advice on possible purchase

idanny76

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
I am looking at a 2016 Ford Explorer Limited with no extra options. It has 123,842 miles, but it has a transmission slipping, CV Axel seeping, some paint chipping on the hood, and engine misfire noticed. Asking price is $6,500. Misfiring could be spark plugs, fuel injectors or the coils. CV Axel for that kind of mileage is not out of the ordinary. I would have to do a tune up on the vehicle anyways like trans fluid change, spark plugs and possible fuel injectors. My hope is that the trans slipping is related to not having the trans fluid changed. Based on the info provided..... Is that a good price to take the risk on this vehicle?

image000000 (1).JPG

image000001.JPG

image000002.JPG

image000003.JPG

image000004.JPG

image000005.JPG

image000006.JPG

image000007.JPG

image000008.JPG

Explorer RO.png

Explorer RO 3.png

Explorer Ro 2.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transmission slipping?? A fluid change is not going to fix that. It will need transmission work. Possibly rebuild (new clutches).

doing the work yourself is the only way that it makes sense, just be prepared to do a trans swap if the new fluid doesn't help/correct the issue. Overall it is a good car and will last many more miles once things are corrected and maintenance is done.

doing the work yourself is the only way that it makes sense, just be prepared to do a trans swap if the new fluid doesn't help/correct the issue. Overall it is a good car and will last many more miles once things are corrected and maintenance is done.
I can do everything else except a transmission rebuilt or swap. Do you think it's a good price?

Transmission slipping?? A fluid change is not going to fix that. It will need transmission work. Possibly rebuild (new clutches).
Is the price worth it even when needing transmission swap. I can do the CV Axel and everything else except for the transmission.

I don't know the market in FL but around here that vehicle sells for around 11-13k. So even if you have to spend 5k on a transmission and other things you would still be at break even and it would have a new trans...and you may not have to do the trans and may be money ahead. With the issues I would work to negotiate them down further, you have nothing to lose....offer them$5k and they will probably take it.

I don't know the market in FL but around here that vehicle sells for around 11-13k. So even if you have to spend 5k on a transmission and other things you would still be at break even and it would have a new trans...and you may not have to do the trans and may be money ahead. With the issues I would work to negotiate them down further, you have nothing to lose....offer them$5k and they will probably take it.
I offered the dealership $5,000 out the door price and they said yes. Going tomorrow to get the car. Will inspect it better when I get there, but it was a recent trade in.

I offered the dealership $5,000 out the door price and they said yes. Going tomorrow to get the car. Will inspect it better when I get there, but it was a recent trade in.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing that the paint issue on the hood is on the front edge. That is a known issue. The hood is aluminum. List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only
The 5th gen has an internal water pump which can cause issues if it leaks and is not caught in time. Water pump failure leads to dead engine
A transmission fluid change has solved some issues that members were having. It's worth the cost to have that done as a first step.
Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing that the paint issue on the hood is on the front edge. That is a known issue. The hood is aluminum. List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only
The 5th gen has an internal water pump which can cause issues if it leaks and is not caught in time. Water pump failure leads to dead engine
A transmission fluid change has solved some issues that members were having. It's worth the cost to have that done as a first step.
Good luck.

Peter
I really appreciate the feedback. I will read the thread about the paint on the hood. I was going to sand down the edge part of the hood cover the front of the vehicle and paint and clear coat it. Then I was going to buy a hood shield to cover the hood edge. Glad to hear it's aluminum, because I was concerned with rust.

In regards to the transmission.... No slipping happened during test drive, the 2hr drive back and the local trips I have done. I didn't feel any engine misfiring or see any Axel seeping. The dealership was in the middle of nowhere and I think the owner brought it for service and they scared him into trading it in for a new vehicle. Because the owner never noticed anything wrong and it was the dealership who told him that.

Just replaced all 4 tires with
Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3
255 /55 R20 110H XL. The car rides so quiet. I wasn't sure going from 255/50 to 255/55 was a good idea, but from what I read here on the forum it worked well.

Next on the list is detailing it, replacing a broken passenger side signal on the mirror, the radiator grille shutter is broken, spark plugs, transmission fluid change, check and clean throttle body and buy a trunk rubber mat. The side mirrors are noisy closing and opening.... Guessing either lithium grease or WD-40 should fix that. Oh... Rear camera is very foggy and not sure if it's the cameras plastic or inside dirt. I tried wiping it down, but it didn't work.

Back